Hearing aids

Old 09-01-2017, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by lass
A friend of mine who has severe tintinitus got hearing aids and her only complaint was that the birds were too loud. She hasn't heard them in years.
OMG, that's so funny! i couldn't believe how many birds we had. Before hearing aids I only heard a small percentage of them. The refrigerator is another one. We had a really old one then and it about scared me to death the first time I was standing in the kitchen and it came on. I couldn't believe how loud it was.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:06 AM

I have only had my hearing aids for 6 mos. I absolutely love them. Did not realize how much I was missing. There is a gizmo on the back of each one to raise or lower the sound. Easy and doesn't interrupt anything. Mine are Phonax. Now I feel naked without them. Very easy to get used to. The first time I put them in I was comfortable and many times go to bed realizing that they are still in my ears.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:12 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by Jingle
I don't have a hearing problem yet. My Husband does but doesn't want to be tested.

We have audiologist here that advertise the Starkey hearing aids.

Good luck to all that need them and to the people that have them.
Jingle, some people never develop hearing problems. Mine started when I was a child. I bet I was born with a hearing loss. It runs in my Dad's family. I also have Starkey and they are fabulous. I can't believe all the things I wasn't hearing. I was shocked at the price but no longer. There is no price too great for hearing.
Old 09-02-2017, 06:15 AM
Power Poster

Originally Posted by cashs_mom
Prism, you are exactly right. My husband's grandmother got hearing aids and wouldn't wear them except when people were around. She didn't want to spend the money for batteries. She said the hearing aids were no good, but it was really that she never wore them enough to get used to them. Put them in and wear them is the best way. I wear mine 14 to 16 hours a day and have had really good results because of it.
Cashs-mom, my Aunt was the same way. She said they didn't work but the truth was she never wore them. They sat in a drawer. We practically had to use sign language with her. My Dad refused to get them at all. He said people didn't speak loud enough I come from a very stubborn family haha
Old 09-02-2017, 06:48 AM
Power Poster

SusieQOH made a point that hits home with me. My left ear is broken, and I've thought of getting one, but the cost is past us.

Jim talks to me from three rooms away and I've told him repeatedly that I cannot understand what he is saying. He sits on my left when we are watching television, and the sound from the show over-rides him. He speaks softly all the time. Guess I'll just have to live with it. Still paying the hospital bills from January.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:15 AM

I finally gave in and bought a hearing aid last year. Bought it from and independent hearing aid professional. The brand is UNITRON and I am VERY PLEASED with it.

OOPS, forgot to mention the cost $1400
Old 09-02-2017, 07:31 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
Cashs-mom, my Aunt was the same way. She said they didn't work but the truth was she never wore them. They sat in a drawer. We practically had to use sign language with her. My Dad refused to get them at all. He said people didn't speak loud enough I come from a very stubborn family haha
Hahaha. That was my dad. He told us that we all mumbled. While that was somewhat true of my mother, I've never been accused of mumbling In fact, my mother always told me that I talked too loud!

I got to where I refused to try to talk to my husband's grandmother after the first time I came home hoarse from yelling at her. I can be very stubborn, too, and if she wasn't going to wear her hearing aids, I wasn't going to talk to her. Not that it would have mattered to her. She never liked me anyway.

I have had hearing loss from childhood. One doctor I went to said that the severe earaches I had when young were probably contributors to my early hearing loss. I got my first hearing aids at about 45, I think. I had also had ear surgery on both ears when I was in my 20's. While the surgery did fix things forever, I got much improved hearing for about 10 or so.

Last edited by cashs_mom; 09-02-2017 at 07:36 AM.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:47 AM
Power Poster

Cashs-mom I really don't know why people are so stubborn about them. I was ecstatic when I got mine! Maybe it's more the older generation, I don't know.
With my Dad I think it made him feel old.He was a fitness freak and looked and acted younger than he was, always. I'm far from old but can't hear well so I'll do whatever I need to hear better
If my beloved Dad were alive today he would be happy for me ...... but he still wouldn't get them haha!
Old 09-02-2017, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by SusieQOH
Cashs-mom I really don't know why people are so stubborn about them. I was ecstatic when I got mine! Maybe it's more the older generation, I don't know.
With my Dad I think it made him feel old.He was a fitness freak and looked and acted younger than he was, always. I'm far from old but can't hear well so I'll do whatever I need to hear better
If my beloved Dad were alive today he would be happy for me ...... but he still wouldn't get them haha!
I know! I was the same way. Suddenly, I could hear things I hadn't heard in years. I could hear in meetings and lectures. I was so happy.

I'm sure my daddy would be happy for me. He was pretty much always happy if I was.
Old 09-02-2017, 07:54 AM
Suz

Regarding ear wax buildup: Go to a health food store and purchase "ear candles". Also purchase "garlic oil" to use after cleaning you ears. To use the candles have matches and a glass or jar of water nearby and be prepared to lay on your side for approx. 20 minutes. Set the candle afire, lay down and insert the tip of the candle into the ear canal while holding the candle between two fingers/thumb in an upright position. You may hear a drawing (windlike) sound. When your holding fingers begin to feel too warm, remove and place in the water jar. I cut the burned part from the candle and then unwrap the coiled candle and you will be amazed at the amount of wax you will find.

Good bacteria has been removed from your ears. To replace, at night put a shot of oil in the ears and stop with a plug of cottonball. Do this 2-3 evenings. NO you will not smell like a salad in the morning. You will feel the difference immediately after cleaning, feeling lighter.

When my ears start to become itchy, I know it is time to clean. -- The "garlic oil" is great for swimmer's ear.