Heat Wave

Old 08-14-2023, 06:34 PM
Power Poster

There are people who opt not to use AC for various reasons. I've heard that you acclimate to it, but I'm not convinced.

I can understand not having the money for AC so not using it, but to choose to be hot and make other members of the family be miserable is messed up. My Sis in law from the New Jersey didn't like AC it messed up her sinus/head/chest. Her first visit down south in mid July to see us, she insisted that the vent be turned off in her bedroom. By 5 o'clock her room was like an oven, her opening the window made it worse with humidity. My husband said have a good night. The next day she opened the vent and it stayed open her whole visit.
Old 08-15-2023, 05:26 AM

Can all you wonderful quilters please put your states in your responses when referring to weather.

First time in weeks this morning in North TEXAS, it was 70 when I got up. Great, since it was 100 at 9PM last night.
I will enjoy the lower temp today...Wednesday temp is due to be 111 degrees!
Ready or winter!
Old 08-15-2023, 07:29 AM

Originally Posted by Lady Diana
Can all you wonderful quilters please put your states in your responses when referring to weather.

First time in weeks this morning in North TEXAS, it was 70 when I got up. Great, since it was 100 at 9PM last night.
I will enjoy the lower temp today...Wednesday temp is due to be 111 degrees!
Ready or winter!
People who want you to know where they are have their locations in their profiles.

Old 08-16-2023, 12:13 AM

My heart goes out to everyone in the areas where the temperatures are soaring. I can't even imagine that kind of heat. I live in mid Maine and our summer has been mostly rain. We are 3" above average for this month right now and we are only half way through. The El nino pattern this year has been hard on so many. We all can only hope that next summer is better.

​​​​​
Old 08-16-2023, 04:52 AM

It is so dry here that their are cracks in the dirt! DH stuck the water hose down one crack and reached 2 feet! We are spot watering the trees, etc, and running sprinkler near house to protect foundation! Brown grass all over town. Even the weather forecaster is excited we might see rain next week.
Old 08-16-2023, 06:25 AM

We had a record low temp recorded on Monday in NE Colorado 41 degrees but today it was 55 degrees on my way to work. Today's high is 102 but we've had a lot of rain so the humidity is higher than normal. The pastures are still green when by now, they would be brown. I have noticed that our cottonwood trees are starting to turn yellow. I'm not ready for winter, just cooler temps for everyone.
Old 08-16-2023, 09:25 AM

During California drought, trees that were heavily mulched, lived. Not mulched trees died from the drought that weakened them and then got boring worms. After a few years there was so much fuel from dead trees there were Hugh forest fires.

Lesson; mulch trees
Old 08-16-2023, 09:40 AM
Power Poster

We had some high heat in July but also a good amount of rain, which isn't the norm. We usually don't get much summer rain so it's been nice.
I couldn't live in a really warm climate. I'd go crazy lol.
Old 08-18-2023, 12:08 PM
Power Poster

I live in AR.
Old 08-19-2023, 03:56 AM

We are actually excited that a hurricane is headed for Texas! Bring on the rain! (As long as it is a mild one!)