Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Hello in Arabic-From my 5 year old! >
  • Hello in Arabic-From my 5 year old!

• Hello in Arabic-From my 5 year old!

Old 02-15-2011, 02:06 AM

"Marhaba" from Beirut, Lebanon, April.

It really is great that our children are learning several different languages. The world is becoming smaller and smaller, and it's our children who will experience the wonders of it.
    My sons grew up speaking both English and Arabic; and they have been able to use both languages to their benefit now that they are adults.
    My elder son is married to a young woman from Laos; so my grandson (now 2 1/2) is learning English, Arabic and Laotian. I'm sure that when he really gets to jabbering away, he will not mix the languages; my own children never did.

Connie

Originally Posted by LovingIzabella
    Okay my almost 5 year old daughter just said hello to me in ARABIC???? :shock: :shock: :shock: I couldn't even write what she said but I called a friend who knows some Arabic and she said she is right..something marhaba....and/or saleem alaikum?? (sorry if I butchered the spelling)
    I am not sure where she learned this from....she scares me lol
    Hugs
    April
    :D :D :D :D
    Old 02-15-2011, 02:12 AM

Meerhaba is the Turkish greeting, similar to Arabic. They are cute and pick up all sorts of stuff from other children.

It is a fantastic way to learn a new language, and as I learnt to speak French fluently, I spoke to my son French from the time he was born, whilst my ex husband spoke English. Obviously, when we were together as a family we spoke English. He was not totally fluent and has forgotten quite a lot now he is an adult and does not use it all the time, but it certainly helped him at school. He was yards a head of the other kids.

French, like German and other languages have a structure that English does not for using verbs etc. It is a very good discipline and kids love these kind of disciplines and not only that they can show off to their peers. By the time he was 10, we had informal classes at my house 2 or 3 times a week as his friends wanted to learn to, including one who was bi-lingual in English and Italian.

So, please encourage it. After all, no learning is ever wasted.