• Hello, and found a problem :)

• Hello, and found a problem :)

Old 05-28-2010, 10:15 PM
    Administrator

It could be something like this:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/05..._scam_charges/
    Old 05-28-2010, 10:32 PM

Originally Posted by Admin
    Yes, it was something like that but what we had was actually downloaded onto our computers. The grandkids may have initially clicked on the ad but after that the pop up kept coming on the computers stating that there were infected files. I remember the old ads that you had to actually go on their site and they scared you into buying their program but no harm was actually done to computers then. Now you spend hours and hours if not days trying to get rid of the popups! :-( :|
    Old 05-29-2010, 04:43 AM

I downloaded or opened those sites, and I did get the virus. Like you said, it messed with my desktop, asnd I almost fell for ther trap, but didn"T. My spyware caught it, and put it in quarantine. No problems since except there are files that I can"t find anymore, and some folders are now empty. Not really having anymore problems except finding things. I just don't know what I am suppose to do with the virus that is in quarantine, do I leave it there, or can I just tell it to delete? I"m self-taught, and my spyware doesn't explain that very well. Board members, if you don't have a virus program, get one!! You can buy them or get some free on websites that work very well. AVG is a good one that I had for many years , and it was free or you could purchase a better version. I used it both ways! We all need protection, especially on this board as we treat each other as trusted friends.
    Old 05-29-2010, 06:11 AM
    Power Poster

Boyfriend got one off craigs list on his computer, and he HAD virus protection. The guy at Walmart told him you should have two types of protection on your computers. Yeesh!
    Old 05-29-2010, 06:55 AM
    Administrator

on a Vista system, it saves itself to

c:\users\[whatever your username is]\app data\Local\Temp\Low

on my computer it named itself 9.525560894510851E8.exe

i use symantec endpoint protection. the virus slipped through far enough to generate the fake message. however, symantec detected it when i ran a quick scan, and told me where it was. i could have used the "delete" option on the scan, but deleted it manually and then emptied my recycle bin.

if you're into techno-gobbledygook, here's a detailed explanation:
    http://securityresponse.symantec.com...101013-3606-99
    Old 05-29-2010, 07:11 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Artsyfartsy
    I've been a long time reader of the board, my mother got me hooked on you all about a year ago. (This is a good thing.) I've been quilting about a year and only finished one small lap quilt, an apron, and have about a dozen half thought out ufos. I LOVE looking through the board every time I get an update, which leads me to the problem:

I got a trojan antispywaresoft virus from some of the pictures in the photo section. Its a real sneaky beastie, and it is no ones fault! My DH insisted I let everyone know where he found the bugs so you can check your computers. (DH is a software engineer, and he's concerned for everyone.)

These are in the photos section:

"More Quilts to Show" has the virus here: t-47059-1.htm

"Material Obsession Quilt #2 here: t-47039-1.htm

"Finally finished My Quilt" has it here: t-4718-1.htm

He says that regular antivirus stuff can overlook this bug, and its best to find a computer saavy person to take a look for it.
    since I hardly ever go anywhere but here, and many days, NO WHERE else...I know your right!
    I got on the other day and in just a little while after viewing pics and the sort, my protection came up and said I had 30 new spyware...this IMMEDIATELY after my computer geek brother, (trained to fix computers by the government)...had just finished working on it, and I was trying it out for the first time.

I'm not blaming anyone either.
    The point is: PEOPLE, GET YOURSELF SOME SPYWARE TO GO WITH YOUR ANTI-VIRUS PROTECTION, and don't wait thinking you don't have those kinds of problems, or your already covered, like I did, or you'll be :cry: too!

You can purchase spyware protection online, or get it at walmart and office supply places, etc. Such a small purchase to protect one of our quilting tools.
    Just think what's its like being cut off from the board!!!
    It's awful! Go now...run...or scoot...shoo. You'll be so glad you did :thumbup:
    Old 05-29-2010, 07:13 AM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by Artsyfartsy
    Its a scam to make you pay money to someone. It doesn't damage anything, but it will keep popping up and making you miserable, and infect other computers with itself.

It took Hubby five hours to find out that much. :(

A lot of people think its from Microsoft, because it will mimic the information, but its not. Hubby's asleep right now, but I can post links tomorrow for anyone who's being harassed by this thing.
    I had 690 at one point and it was slowing my already dial-up down to the point of not working in a useable manner! :shock:
    Old 05-29-2010, 07:15 AM
    Google Goddess

that virus is bad, I got it and had to call microsoft (free) and they got me up and running again

I had Norton anti virus on the pc, it zapped it but still caused major problems, was a big headache