Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Help Learning To Read in Spanish y Japanese >
  • Help Learning To Read in Spanish y Japanese

• Help Learning To Read in Spanish y Japanese

Old 03-26-2011, 08:31 AM

When I was taking Spanish I'd read Spanish newspapers online. If I were you I'd find some Japanese or Spanish quilt blogs/site and read away. The newspapers are also online. I read the Japanese paper (translated) almost every day. If you need help, you can print an article in Spanish and then have Google translate it and print it out in English. The same translation in Japanese would probably read like Yoda-speak in English, but it would let you know whether you were translating it fairly accurately - thankfully the Mainichi Daily News does have an English edition online.
    Old 03-26-2011, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by catmcclure
    When I was taking Spanish I'd read Spanish newspapers online. If I were you I'd find some Japanese or Spanish quilt blogs/site and read away. The newspapers are also online. I read the Japanese paper (translated) almost every day. If you need help, you can print an article in Spanish and then have Google translate it and print it out in English. The same translation in Japanese would probably read like Yoda-speak in English, but it would let you know whether you were translating it fairly accurately - thankfully the Mainichi Daily News does have an English edition online.
    Thanks!
    Old 03-26-2011, 08:42 AM

A friend of mine told me our local library has video tapes to help learn Spanish. It is essentially a soap opera, but each episode increase the vocabulary. This way - as you get caught up in the story, you develop more language skills. I don't know the name of them, but there is a series. Maybe the company that produces them has one in Japanese as well since this is an up and coming language.
    Old 03-26-2011, 08:52 AM

Originally Posted by Arleners
    A friend of mine told me our local library has video tapes to help learn Spanish. It is essentially a soap opera, but each episode increase the vocabulary. This way - as you get caught up in the story, you develop more language skills. I don't know the name of them, but there is a series. Maybe the company that produces them has one in Japanese as well since this is an up and coming language.
    I know the book that we use has a website with video help too... and the video is set up like a soap opera... which we use as a lab in class... but I'll look into it! :)
    Old 03-26-2011, 09:24 AM

good luck :)
    Old 03-26-2011, 10:06 AM

Originally Posted by Arleners
    The Destinos is one that was on PBS
    Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 AM

Yep, Destinos is good, I use it with some of my students.

Honestly, I wouldn't use any of the online translators - they're ok every now and then, but not for a decent translation.

I know enough Italian to be passable (used to be the only language I spoke when I was little, but now I've no one to talk to so it's rusty). I'm sure I've got books around somewhere too that could help.
    Old 03-26-2011, 10:10 AM

oh - La Catrina is another one, and that's fun. I might have the workbooks that go along with it, I know over the years I'm missing some of the VHS tapes
    Old 03-26-2011, 10:39 AM

You might want to check out Gary Soto's books - they are published in both english/spanish- my girls like them.

Heres's a link for Penguin young reader books in spanish (they also have japanese lang. books) -they give you the isbn, so that way you can at least search or cross reference other sites like amazon, or AbeBooks.com, etc for pricing.

http://us.penguingroup.com/nf/Browse/BrowseStdPage/0,,263124,00.html

Good luck choosing #3!
    Old 03-26-2011, 08:30 PM

Hola, puedes practicar tu espanol escuchando noticias, musica o cualquier otro programa en la tv o por la radio. Hay universidades que proveen tutorias gratis despues de clases. Esto lo se pues mi hijo da clases de tutoria de espanol a los alumnos que lo necesitan.

Buena suerte,

Pirpa