Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Help needed. Flood damaged item >
  • Help needed. Flood damaged item

• Help needed. Flood damaged item

Old 09-23-2018, 03:32 AM

--and there is always Dawn. It seems to work for so many things. Hoping the other suggestions are successful but thought I'd throw this one in for consideration, too. (Hope they never change the formula for Dawn as it works for so many things!)
    Old 09-23-2018, 03:46 AM

Default Follow-up on Flood Damaged Item

Thought I would start with one of the easiest suggestions and soak the crocheted table cloth in Oxi Clean overnight. It worked amazing and said item is now in the washer for its final cleaning. Thank you so much for your suggestions. I will keep these suggestions so that will have them available should someone else need them. Sharon
    Old 09-23-2018, 04:09 AM

Sharon, you may know this but I lay flat crocheted work rather than dry in the dryer. They dry a little stifish and are nearly as good as that deep heavy starch treatment our grandmothers used.

glad some things are improving for your daughter.
    Old 09-23-2018, 10:13 AM

Dawn mixed with Hydrogen Peroxide let it soak for a hour or more and wash has worked to remove stains for me. If the stains are bad soaking overnight might be best.
    Old 09-23-2018, 05:23 PM

Restoration--works wonders on old linens and fabrics. Just follow the directions, may take more than one treatment if there is mildew.
    Old 09-24-2018, 10:37 AM

So many good ideas and advice. The Oxyclean is a popular product around here for lots of stains.
    I just recently had a stain on a new quilt just finished that had a small stain I couldn't get out, and Dawn worked on that well! Just today I decided to try Dawn on 2 stains in the dining room carpet which even the carpet cleaner man couldn't get out last Spring. The Dawn worked on them also!
    So impressed with Dawn and Oxyclean!
    There were some products in some of the posts I wasn't familiar with; Restoration I am not familiar with, but sounded like a good product.
    Mariah
    Old 09-27-2018, 03:05 PM

Originally Posted by grammasharon
    Daughter's home flooded and left some damaged stored items. A crocheted round tablecloth was among some of her treasures that got badly stained. Have any of you very talented ladies/gents successfully removed stains from like items. TIA for any help you can give me. It would be a huge blessing to her as it was made by a very special person. Sharon
    Dissolve in hot water equal amounts of Biz, Chlorox II, and Cascade. Place the items in it and let them soak for as long as it takes to get out the stains. Got this recipe from a woman who sells heirloom linens, some which are stained. The only stain I have had trouble getting out is blood which has been sitting there for decades.
    Old 10-02-2018, 12:49 PM

I have been using 1 gal warm water, 1/2 cup ea - cascade, Biz. Dissolve real good before adding fabric. Love vintage linens and this works great. If stains doesn’t come out after soaking overnight, rinse and make new mixture. On really old linens it may take 2 or 3 soaks. Never got holes like the ones using oxyclean. Good Luck!