Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Help with "pieceful expressions" overall bib pattern >
  • Help with "pieceful expressions" overall bib pattern

• Help with "pieceful expressions" overall bib pattern

Old 04-21-2012, 04:41 AM

Default Help with "pieceful expressions" overall bib pattern

I don't do much with sewing patterns but wanted to make the bib overall for a co-workers new baby to go with a quilt I've done for her. The pieces are cut, the velcro placed and I'm ready to sew it together. The directions don't say where to place the tabs...sew on the inside or the outside of the leg. I just am not seeing how this works and the picture on the pattern is no help. Anyone made this pattern? Thanks for any help.
    Old 04-21-2012, 04:55 AM

From a picture of the pattern here: http://www.piecefulexpressions.com/O...ern-PEX001.htm

I agree - you can't tell. I'd take a guess and assume the tab is attached to the inside and the velcro is on the outside.

Shari
    Old 04-21-2012, 06:09 AM

Thanks Mom3, that's my guess too but couldn't really tell and the directions are no help. I wish that people who make these quick patterns would have someone else read their "directions" and make sure the process is clear.
    Old 04-21-2012, 06:16 AM

If you click on that little picture on the bottom, it gives a little better pic, but I still can't tell. Just do it the way you want to.
    Old 04-21-2012, 07:26 AM

I have to agree with Mom3. My opinion viewing the picture is that it wuold be better to have the tab on the inside and velcro on the outside. Please post a picture of the final outcome and tell us what you did, just in case one of the other QBers decide to take on this project. Good luck, it should turn out so cute.
    Old 04-21-2012, 08:28 AM

I have made several of these, and I do sew the tab in seam on the inside of the leg. I put the velcro on the back of the leg on the outside and the tab so that it loops around and fastens with the tab on the inside of the loop. I don't sew the velcro on until the unit is sewn and turned right side out and topstitched.
    Old 04-21-2012, 10:27 AM

I've made a couple of these. The directions were horrible. I also contacted the designer, who said that the instructions were supposed to be revised soon. It's been awhile, but one correction involves the neck edge. You cut the bib on the fold, and no where does it mention to cut the neck edge open on the fold. But, you must, or the bib won't fit over baby's head.

I also made a note where it says to "Pin leg straps in place". The straps must be placed INSIDE the front and lining leg pieces. That way, when the legs are sewn and turned, the straps will be OUTSIDE!

I have some revised directions. Maybe this will be clearer:
    Sew leg straps right sides together, leaving straight edge open for turning. Turn and press. (You've probably already done this). Next, lay bib front and back right sides together. Insert leg straps (facing in) near bottom inside edge of both legs, having raw edges even. Pin and sew around entire bib, leaving a 3" area open for turning. Then..turn bib and topstitch all edges closing the opening used for turning. And, finally, sew velcro fasteners (about 1") at neck edge, and on both lower outside legs and on leg straps.

These instructions are different in that all velcro is sewn on when all the other sewing is finished. Hope this helps!
    Old 04-21-2012, 11:33 AM

The pattern that I use is for elastic instead of fabric and velcro.
    Old 04-21-2012, 12:31 PM

Thanks so much Ginaky and psumom! It's so frustrating to get so far in a project and then be stymied. I'm a direction follower and can't always figure out a step (that should be there and isn't) because I can't visualize the final product. I finally thought put the question on The Board and I'm sure someone will know and help. Thanks again.
    Old 04-23-2012, 10:30 AM

Just want to add that it's a good idea to be careful to place the scratchy side of the velcro so that it's away from the baby's skin. That way if there's a little overlap, it will be the soft side touching. It's a cute design. They will love it.