Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • HELP!! solutions for gout in finger? >
  • HELP!! solutions for gout in finger?

• HELP!! solutions for gout in finger?

Old 02-13-2011, 05:07 PM

I wear a magnet braclet 24/7 and it really helps. Go to Walmart they have them for $5.00 in there jewelry section hanging on the wall. If you don't see them just ask they will tell you where they are.
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:10 PM

Sorry didn't realize you were from the UK. Maybe if you want one from walmart I could get you a magnet braclet.If so Just PM me. OraLee
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by OraLee
    Sorry didn't realize you were from the UK. Maybe if you want one from walmart I could get you a magnet braclet.If so Just PM me. OraLee
    Actually I am in Utah. I'll have to check them out.

Thank you everyone for the help! I LOVE cherries so this won't be too hard! I will definitely give these things a try. I wonder what there is about cherries that helps. I'll have to google it! :)

Thanks again!
    Old 02-13-2011, 05:52 PM

Bragg's Apple Cider Vinegar and Pure RAW HOney........Aunt Sue's Honey to be specific. One tablespoon of each in 4 ounces of water 2 to 3 times a day....worked wonders for Dad. Tastes nasty but it will also help you loose weight. Drink lots of water to flush out the uric acid crystals that cause gout by forming in the joints.

Put gout in your Google search and you'll get all sorts of hits. I did the research for my Dad on it.

Make sure you are not allergic to the vinegar or the honey before you take it though. I can't guarantee it will work but it really helped my Dad.

The new meds they have out there for gout these days are very hard on your kidneys and my Dad's doctor refused to give them to him.

Do your homework......there is a lot of misinformation out there on gout as well.
    Old 02-13-2011, 06:39 PM

I take allopurinol doesn't cure it, but prevents future flare ups, I have taken it for about a year and have had no flare ups. Ask your Doctor.
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:19 PM
    Power Poster

Originally Posted by GGquilts
    I take allopurinol doesn't cure it, but prevents future flare ups, I have taken it for about a year and have had no flare ups. Ask your Doctor.
    My late DH took some allopuprinol, but he couldn't take the necessary dose because of the number of medications he had to have. We supplemented it with with cherry and he did really well.
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:26 PM

I have a rare form of gout and have had since I was 29. Gout is an inflammation caused by the build-up of uric acid crystals in the joints. And in order to buffer the acid and allow the kidneys to remove it, you may need a drug that is taken daily for a lot longer than 3 months. I take Allopurinol and have been gout free for over 20 years. it is a cheap drug, but be warned, when you start taking it all the uric acid crystals have to leave your joints and you will be in a lot of pain for awhile. But staying on the drug daily means you only go thru that once! PM me if you want to know more.
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:43 PM

Originally Posted by mzsooz
    The dr says this is gout that is making my finger deform be red, swollen and hurts like heck. Told me to stay away from red meat and take an NSAID. Well, I already take a major one of those everyday now for years. I only eat red meat about 2 maybe 3 times a week. I know that sounds like a lot but I know people who eat much more.

Anyway, I haven't sewn since Christmas and just went down to sew and found I can't because of this stupid finger. It is my right index finger and I can't pinch threads, pins, etc.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions that I could try? I've read all about the diet and I'm pretty good on that anyway. It also says it just lasts a short time. Well mine has been 3 months!! I WANT TO QUILT!!! HELP!!
    Whenever I have an attack the doc gives me predisone for four days. works everytime so far. Also I notice if I am not drinking enough water I seem to have more attacks that last longer. Good Luck..I also use hot or cold water to soak the affected part in .... what ever feels good at that time. I feel for you because the pain is the worse! The only thing I have found worse is Kidney stones
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:46 PM

The dr says this is gout that is making my finger deform be red, swollen and hurts like heck. Told me to stay away from red meat and take an NSAID. Well, I already take a major one of those everyday now for years. I only eat red meat about 2 maybe 3 times a week. I know that sounds like a lot but I know people who eat much more.

Anyway, I haven't sewn since Christmas and just went down to sew and found I can't because of this stupid finger. It is my right index finger and I can't pinch threads, pins, etc.

Does anyone else have this problem? Any solutions that I could try? I've read all about the diet and I'm pretty good on that anyway. It also says it just lasts a short time. Well mine has been 3 months!! I WANT TO QUILT!!! HELP!!
    2-tablespoons of dark cherry juice concentrate in glass of water 3 times a day...worked great on mine :)
    soaking in epsom salts thru day.
    Old 02-14-2011, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by OraLee
    Actually I am in Utah. I'll have to check them out.

Thank you everyone for the help! I LOVE cherries so this won't be too hard! I will definitely give these things a try. I wonder what there is about cherries that helps. I'll have to google it! :)

Thanks again!
    eating the dried cherries when they are out of season is a great help.