Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Help with turkey, no not DH a cooking turkey >
  • Help with turkey, no not DH a cooking turkey

• Help with turkey, no not DH a cooking turkey

Old 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM

I want to say first right off the bat that cooking is not my first love. And remember the only foolish question is an unasked one.
    Question #1 I have a 13# turkey, how many will it feed?
    Question #2 Can I cook a turkey breast in a crock pot?(No laughing please.) If so how?
    When you are done laughing and shaking your head I would appreciate an anwser. Oh BTW This is not for Thanksgiving, but for next Sat. Thanks
    Old 05-18-2010, 02:29 PM
    Power Poster

I cook turkey breast in my crock pot all of the time. It usually takes about 6 hours in mine, but I also use a meat thermometer to check it :D:D:D
    With my family? A 13 lb turkey would only feed 6 people, they all just eat the white meat and LOTS of it LOL
    Old 05-18-2010, 02:37 PM

Originally Posted by amma
    I cook turkey breast in my crock pot all of the time. It usually takes about 6 hours in mine, but I also use a meat thermometer to check it :D:D:D
    With my family? A 13 lb turkey would only feed 6 people, they all just eat the white meat and LOTS of it LOL
    Thank you. Do you have to put liquid in the crock pot with the breast?
    Old 05-18-2010, 03:22 PM

If you go to foodnetwork.com. They have a turkey calculator on there. It'll tell you how many lb.s , people it'll feed and cooking time.

I don't put my turkey breast in a slow cooker. I like the skin crispy. I just rub some olive oil on it and season/inject it (whatever kind of seasoning that you like). 325 for about 15-20 min. lb. I do put a thermometer in it and take it out of the oven when temp. reaches 170-175 and set it aside and let it finish cooking out of the oven while I finish fixing everything else. Don't wait for that pop up thing or your breast/turkey will be dry.
    Old 05-18-2010, 03:29 PM
    Power Poster

My mom usually makes a 12-pounder and that feeds 5 people with some leftovers (which is the best thing about turkey).

If you use the crockpot, the turkey breast will get "done" but it will not be crispy and you can't really baste it because you lose 20 minutes for every time you lift the lid.

You can add some chicken stock to the crock pot because the turkey breast does not release a lot of moisture.
    Old 05-18-2010, 05:47 PM

that's all good suggestions! I just might try doing one in my crock pot, we only like the white meat on sandwiches anyway, or cut up iin my turkey pot pie. UMMMMM!
    Old 05-18-2010, 06:23 PM

I bake my turkey in a roasting bag and i also stuff the bird with celery strips and onions for such a delish flavor.But i frist wash the turkey well and rub him down with butter frist.You get dircetions in the box with the Reynolds roasting bag.Hope this helps the bags makes a very tender and lovley tasting turkey.
    Old 05-18-2010, 06:29 PM

Crock Pot turkey breast. Rinse meat, pat dry, rub entire meat with Italian dressing, some type dressing that lots of flavor, salt and pepper. A stalk of celery adds more flavor, even a little onlion
    Place in crock pot with about 1/2 cup to 1 cup chicken broth or water. Cover and cook about 5 hours or until done.
    Let us know how good all these ideas taste.
    Old 05-18-2010, 07:33 PM

I wish I could help but my husband cooks out of self defense. In my hands a stove is a lethal weapon. My mother has even provided us with the poison control phone number for the occasions that I might get a wild idea and try to cook something. I've decided that cookbooks are really not user manuals.
    Old 05-18-2010, 08:05 PM

My late friend used to cook turkey breasts in the crock pot all the time and they were wonderful. I've never done it, I've only baked them and then the instructions were on the package. I just throw it in a cooking bag and into the oven.
    Lab fairy, you're hilarious! My DH made goulash once and it looked so good. I put the first bite in my mouth and almost gagged! Who knew you could substitute ketchup for the red stuff? Not being a big ketchup fan anyway the one bite I spit out was enough for me. I keep him away from the cooking but I let him do the dihes. LOL