Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Hoarders marathon today on A&E >
  • Hoarders marathon today on A&E

• Hoarders marathon today on A&E

Old 09-06-2010, 01:09 PM
    Power Poster

my hubby is about "this" close to being a hoarder! talk about too much stuff.
    Old 09-06-2010, 01:30 PM

I kept telling my son he was and he'd get mad at me. But he cleaned his room- about 1/2 way. I kept commenting on how nice it was. We ended up with 2 large black garbage bags of clothes to give away- some size 14-16, he's now an adult med. It did hurt a bit to see price tags on things. But I took them to the local "clothes closet" for people who need things, unlike Salvation Army, they just need to have a need and they can shop.

It is staying pretty clean. I have ventured in a bit to vacuum as I do the hall, but resist cleaning it for him.
    Old 09-06-2010, 01:56 PM

I have issues!!! After seeing a few of these shows I have foreseen what my house will be like in 10 years!!!! DH and I just have to much stuff. I have started sorting/boxing it up and taking it THAT day to goodwill. If I leave it in the house I catch myself going thru it again and I hear that voice in my head (my Mother) saying "you may need this" and I put stuff back. I am trying to stick to the rule that if I haven't used it in the last 2 years it needs to go. Hope I can stick to that when I get to my sewing room:)
    Old 09-06-2010, 02:08 PM

I find when getting rid of stuff, it helps to think about how much someone else will like it (like clothes). Makes it easier to let go.
    I give my clothes to a free "clothes closet" too - S.A. and Goodwill are TOO expensive!! SOmetimes used clothes there can cost more than new at Walmart.
    Old 09-06-2010, 02:25 PM
    Power Poster

Extreme hoarders should not be allowed to put themselves or others in danger. They are mentally ill and should be considered as not capable of making decisions concerning their welfare.
    Old 09-06-2010, 02:26 PM

Yes, I've finally agreed with myself that yes, I do need to clean out a lot of "stuff" that hasn't been used for..um, well, a LONG time. But of course my Nutcracker collection is just a lovely thing, even though the over 50 pieces do kind of wonder all around the house, so, reluctantly, I've been giving some to a very appreciative 13 year old Gnephew. He loves the bright colors.

And then there's the fabric, all that lovely fabric. No, would cost too much to get more should I get rid of some...

Did someone say FABRIC SALE? Off I go......
    Old 09-06-2010, 02:28 PM

I find this show fascinating. They usually have happy endings, but I hate the ones where the hoarders don't get healed or helped. It's interesting to see the different levels of hoarders. Some just have "stuff" and some just never throw away their trash and let their homes go. I just hate seeing anyone in pain and I think these folks are. More happy endings, please!

Watch the documentary Grey Gardens if you like this show. This type of mental illness has been around a while. I hope more people seek help and try to live happier lives. It's not their fault they hoard.
    Old 09-06-2010, 02:57 PM

Ramona Byrd, do you mean "my" nutcracker collection? I don't think you can ever have too many ... can you? I don't have alot....but I just LOVE the ones I have....
    Old 09-06-2010, 04:32 PM

I've been noticing on these shows how many people are storing things in Avon delivery boxes. Hmmmm....do Hoarders become Avon reps or do Avon reps become hoarders.....

something to think about while I go hide all my Avon delivery boxes that are storing fabric.........
    Old 09-09-2010, 01:17 PM

If you guys saw my fabric stash you'd probably have that show come here. I don't consider myself mentally ill, just a regular quilter with a larger than normal stash. I've never watched the show but just seeing the ads makes me want to purge some of everything.