Holidays -

Old 05-14-2018, 07:40 AM

I used to like the holidays. Then when my husband passed away right after new years 31 years ago, I just wanted to go to sleep around Halloween and wake up after Valentine's day. I still think Valentine's day is sad for those of us alone; and just a way for the businesses to make money on cards, flowers, candy, etc. and a reminder to those of us that we 'have no one". It took me many years before I could begin to enjoy Thanksgiving and Christmas again and New Years. And I too spend most ALL of them - alone. But I am now ok with it.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:33 AM
Power Poster

I don't really do Holidays much. My husband of 34 years was a bah humbug guy. spoiled my cheer I can tell you. besides, i was in Colorado away from my family. I do like Christmas but don't decorate a ton, just a few things around.
Old 05-14-2018, 08:38 AM
Power Poster

I do love the holidays, especially Christmas and Thanksgiving. I'm better at not trying to do every single thing there is to do for Christmas and enjoy it a lot more than when I got stressed out every year. I love my birthday but don't like getting older haha
Old 05-14-2018, 08:49 AM

I could do without holidays, especially the big 2, Thanksgiving and Christmas, for me, they are no longer what they used to be and are far to stesssful to be enjoyable. My daughter recently moved for her job and we agreed to do a Thanksgiving and Christmas celebration the first weekend in December and to alternate locations so it’s fair and no one has to deal with traveling on major holidays. It’s just us, I live alone and so does she, but in the past she has always spent the holidays with her BF’s family and that was fine with me.
I grew up an only child, and I have been on my own since I was 15, so perhaps I’m used to doing things by myself, and I don’t like when others “feel sorry that I’m alone”. But, I also love to cook too, so when I find a bunch of other people who are solo, I do ask if they want to come over and I enjoy cooking for all. I have an open door policy for anyone who wants a place to get away to, no one should ever feel that they are alone in this world! Everyday is a day to give thanks and feel blessed!
Old 05-14-2018, 09:06 AM

DH and I have decided that we will no longer put up a Christmas tree, since neither of us really care about it and only put it up for others to enjoy. I am planning on making a quilted tree to put up just for the sake of the visitors, and we will continue to put up the other decorations, just no longer a tree. I hate the mess, and no one wants to help us take it down after they put it up for us. We have decided that we will find a family (with kids) that might not have a way to get their own tree next year, give them my white tree, and all the decorations so they have a great tree, since most organizations in our area do gifts and food for others who can’t afford it, but no one gives trees. Our decorations are all realistic looking plastic (no glitter, can’t stand the mess) since we have fur kids and did not want any of them injured by breaking glass. Other holidays are just days.
Old 05-14-2018, 11:17 AM

Mother's day, Father's day and Valentine's day can be really difficult if you have lost those close to you.
Old 05-14-2018, 03:33 PM

Mother's Day is the hardest for me. I have one son out of state...and have had to go to my Mother in laws for the past 30 years.....it gets old!
Old 05-14-2018, 04:20 PM

You could always buy what you want the GKids to have and enjoy, and if possible, keep them at your house so they could enjoy them while visiting with you.
Old 05-14-2018, 06:07 PM
Power Poster

We haven't decorated for Christmas in about 8-10 years. Youngest Grandchild is now going on 16. His parents always decorate for him. The older kids had it and Daughter wants him to also. Building memories for him.

My husband and I would prefer to not celebrate any holidays. We have Daughter and Some local Grands here to barbecue on nice ones. I don't have any living siblings, never celebrated together any way.
Old 05-15-2018, 05:34 AM

I only enjoy Christmas. - I think that is a growing sentiment among us as we grow older. I, too, do not like the gift-giving aspect (much like SillySusan). We never did much on holidays while growing up, but my MOM made a big deal of Christmas and that is what I enjoy now, although my DH and I do tend to spend it alone as my brothers spend it with their wives' families. But I am beginning to get used to that also.