Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Honesty isn't in the manual >
  • Honesty isn't in the manual

• Honesty isn't in the manual

Old 06-07-2010, 09:37 AM

Now that its monday have you called you bank? Or if you do on line banking Have you gotten to see if you was short $20
    Old 06-07-2010, 09:56 AM

Well, if they wind up giving it back to you, you can rest easy because now you've EARNED it by spending all that time in the store teaching them what honesty is all about! Good for you!
    Old 06-07-2010, 10:20 AM
    Power Poster

Someone did say to check your account to make sure that is still "correct" -
    Old 06-08-2010, 02:27 AM

someone in front of me, left a 20 in the changer..i chased them down and gave it to them,before they got out of the store.
    do you think that could of happened? the extra 20 was already in there?

i would of turned it in also..Good for you! what goes around,comes around...

a purse was left in a cart in the parking lot. i turned it in, and i really felt i should of kept it, to find out who it belonged to,and return it myself..they just didn't seem very interested, when i turned it in.
    Old 06-08-2010, 04:57 AM
    Power Poster

It's just downright disconcerting how "honesty" is viewed these days!
    I went in a LQS a few years back with my grandbaby.
    Upon going through my see thru nylon bag I discovered a roll of the stores scotch tape, that my grandbaby must have picked up off the counter in the second room where most of the fabrics are.
    Ok...I'll take it back when i'm in town.
    oops, when I wasn't looking, grandbaby yanked a bunch of it off the roll...she was a baby-baby, not a toddler that understands. My fault.
    Ok, then I'll buy a new one, same brand and take both back. She'd only pulled off about two feet...yikes...that could leave you stuck...lol...no feet...(a little humor there...very little, I guess ;) )...
    Got the NEW roll of tape, and the OLD roll of tape, and next time I was by the store...same SEE THROUGH purse, went in, and told the owner, who was sitting there in the front room sewing, and her assistant was there, and they were incredulous that I would buy more and bring it back.
    The owner went on and on, (in a kind of ridiculous tone), about how sweet I was...I felt like a child!
    I said, "I've always been like that!" and moved away.
    Ok...so i decided to go in the second room to peruse the fabrics.
    The assistant followed me and stayed glued to me the whole time!!!!
    I couldn't concentrate, bought a bit too much fabric and when she checked me out, she answered the phone and forgot to give me my receipt.
    Ok - since i like to have my receipts, I called later and you know what she said???? (this is the untrusting assistant),...
    She said, "Oh, of course you can have the receipt if you really, really want it. I'll put your name on it and put it in this drawer. We get compulsive ppl like you every so often. We had a man...blah, blah, blah..."
    I said, "Never mind. I don't want it."
    I wasn't mad, but I felt like I had been talked down to by the owner, who was a preacher's wife??? followed around by the assistant, who didn't follow me the first time...and then criticized and was offended by her amateur attempt at psychiatric evaluation over the phone!"
    I never went back.
    Later I heard how this owner went to Wal Mart and bought out some craft and sewing stuff and re-marked it WAY high for her store.
    She's out of business now.
    We used to get to feel good about doing the honest thing, and it was considered ordinary...normal, and a little praiseworthy.
    I should have yanked two feet off the new roll, handed it to the assistant and said, "now, we're even." :roll:
    Where is my John Wayne?...where are the happy endings..."
    Old 06-08-2010, 05:44 AM
    Power Poster

Good for you Karen...now you can sleep at night. Thats my barometer for doing the right thing. If it keeps you awake at night...don't do it. But you are all right...I don't understand why it seems strange for people to be honest and do the right thing.

The other day a cashier gave me the wrong amount for change ..(too much)..I had to argue with her (I really don't think she knew how to count money-but thats a whole 'nuther rant)...she never did agree with me but I laid the extra on the counter and left the store. I was tired of arguing!
    Old 06-08-2010, 06:37 AM
    Power Poster

You mean they did not ask what you had for breakfast, or what color undies you had on??? What is the world coming to?
    Old 06-08-2010, 09:11 AM

I had an experience in a Costco a few years ago. I had run in and bought one of their rotiserie (sp?) chickens and handed a $10 bill to the clerk. She was busy talking to co-workers and I was in a rush also. She gave me my change ($4 from the $10) and I just shoved in in my pocket without checking. The next day put on my jeans and pulled out the money - four $5 bills!!! I got my receipt and went in with the $5 bills. The clerk at the desk was stunned that I would come in and try to give the money back. She had me go to another manager and she went in to the office to check the end-of-day runs to see if the register on the receipt was short. It was and she thanked me. I said I only wanted my $4 back and to do the right thing and to make sure no checker was fired over this as it was an honest mistake. Why are they so surprised that some of us want to do the right thing?!?!
    Old 06-08-2010, 10:05 AM

I found $2.00 in a hospital parking lot recently. The Red Cross was delivering blood at the time, so I tried to hand it to their delivery person, explained that it wasn't mine and asked him to put it to good use. He hesitated like he thought it might be laced with a foreign substance and wondered aloud what he would do with it before finally taking it. That struck me as funny, but he did at least appear to be an honest person.
    Old 06-08-2010, 10:17 AM

IF NO ONE CLAIMED IT? Had they forgotten that you hadn't found it?