Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How can you make your look "spotless" when it really isn't? >
  • How can you make your look "spotless" when it really isn't?

• How can you make your look "spotless" when it really isn't?

Old 01-18-2011, 11:40 AM

I tell everyone that comes over to keep one eye closed......I do what must be done bath, kitchen clothes and self, rest bits at a time.
    Old 01-18-2011, 02:16 PM

LOL Dust on furniture you can write in and a dirty bathroom.
    Old 01-18-2011, 02:25 PM

I notice kitchens and bathrooms, but I also look at any mirrors, I have two huge ones in my living room, and boy can you see little fingermarks. (grandsons) I dislike dirty mirrors.
    Old 01-18-2011, 02:31 PM

As long as you are happy with the state of your home, why worry. After all people come to see YOU not your home.

I like to do the basics everyday and now vacuum the carpets each morning as my new adopted dog sheds fur for a pasttime. Apart from that the clutter gets cleared as and when I spot it or am passing it.

I find that picking something up and taking it to its home whilst doing something else is very effective.

All in all, it still leaves me plenty of time to walk the dog, spend time on this board and quilt!!!
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by tmw
    i notice smells and pet hairs, I , myself am not the best housekeeper, but those two things , i don't like!!!!
    I am so with you there!! I'll take a bit of clutter anyday over odors and pet hair! My DH doesn't like the fact that I won't let our (his) dog in the living room. She sheds white hair and I vacuum to keep them off the living room floor. He has a cave and he and the dog live there to watch TV in the evenings. Would I love his company on occasion? Sure, but not the dogs. He just doesn't get it. When the grandbabies come over, I want to let them play on the floor....not in the dog hair. He says I don't love the dog, I say he loves the dog more than me, he says she doesn't talk back, I say she doesn't understand him!! LOL!
    Old 01-18-2011, 03:23 PM

First off, I'll say that my house is a "lived in" house. Used to, I worked myself to death to try to keep it clean all the time, only to turn around and find that my bunch had managed to make it all a mess again. It takes everyone doing their part to help out. I just hated it when I had just mopped and waxed or steam cleaned the carpet only to find that someone had tracked grease from the front door all the way to the bathroom. Somewhere in all that I decided to back off and worry more about what absolutely needs to be done. If they didn't care enough to make my job easier, then why should I work myself to death for nothing. I still try to keep the kitchen as clean as possible. After all, cleanliness is next to Godliness my grandma always said. Especially where food is prepared and consumed. On the baking issue, since hubby is baking bread so often and we aren't buying store bought now, it makes the house smell soooo good.

Dust? We live on the north side of a county dirt road. It's impossible to not have dust here. My mom tells me we get more dust here in 1 day than she did where she lived before in 6 months. Bad for the allergies too. Not much I can do about that I'm afraid. The only time I can open the windows is after a rain.

I think trying to keep down clutter is one of the most important things we can do.

I had an aunt who kept her house absolutely immaculate. Just like a good housekeeping photograph. Hated going over to visit her because it made me uncomfortable. I want people to feel comfortable at my house most of all.
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:31 PM

I used to be very houseproud then had one of those 'moments' when I realised only one person noticed it--- ME!!! We are now very 'lived in', but we still have lots of regular visitors so it can't be too bad! Friends say it's warm and inviting that's all that matters!! Most friends come to see my latest projects so I hope that will be my legacy rather than a super clean house!!!!
    Old 01-18-2011, 04:54 PM

Housecleaning won't kill you, but why take the chance?
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:01 PM

Mainly kitchens and a lot of clutter laying around.
    Old 01-18-2011, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by Ramona Byrd
    Life is too short to worry that much about housework,and not have very much time for pure enjoyment, unless there is a medical conditions that warrants that much upkeep :D:D:D
    --------------------------
    I've asked my kids over the years what they remembered best from their childhoods. Never, never did they remember how I mopped the floor after they went to bed, never did recall how I did this or that to the house. What they did remember with love and smiles, were the times that I did something with them, took them somewhere, when DH and I took them camping, etc.[/quote]

I love this! It is so true. Dust never ends but childhood does. Love this!