Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How can you make your look "spotless" when it really isn't? >
  • How can you make your look "spotless" when it really isn't?

• How can you make your look "spotless" when it really isn't?

Old 01-18-2011, 05:59 PM
    Power Poster

I use to be a stay at home Mom raising 3 kids, house was spotless, kids remember me spring cleaning every Friday. None of them took after me. My Mom got very lax as we 5 got older, I hate dirty/messy and I refuse to live like that. We have no company but our kids and Grandkids, I still like a neat, clean home.
    I have always had time for lots of hobbies and crafts with the kids.
    Since I retired in June I have been quilting non stop and my house is clean, I spend a couple of hours a day on it.
    Old 01-18-2011, 06:49 PM

I go by my Mom's rule..."one level above the health department condeming the place"! I run the vaccuum, mop the floors and clean the bathrooms once a week. I think if someone doesn't like the way my house looks they don't need to come back. I've changed alot of my thinking since I found out I had breast cancer 5 years ago and realized LIFE IS SHORT your house doesn't need to be "spotless" to be happy!
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:00 PM

I have 2 little kids, 2 big dogs and a cat. So I know living in a mess. ;D

I notice dog hair, clutter and smells.

Those of you with dogs, kids and cats, know I am fighting a losing battle. ;) Floors get swept and vacuumed 2x a day to keep some of the hair under control.

My hubby is king of clutter... he has a box that I fill up once a week with his mail/ magazines. After a month he stuffs it in a closet... I toss it after 3 months.

Lastly, my gram always told me... if you want the house to smell good... cook up some bacon and onions. She also told me that if I forgot to get dinner started when hubby was on the way home to employ same method and he will think that I have been cooking all day. Then divert his attention, pretend to burn said dinner and make him take you out. LOL
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM

I try very hard to keep 'room dandruff' to a minimum. That is what they call all the 'kitsch' that seems to be acquired and sit all over creating new things to dust. I have a {3 item per flat surface} rule that I try to follow. This rule does NOT extend to my sewing area though. :oops:
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:16 PM

Originally Posted by dakotamaid
    I notice kitchens and bathrooms.
    Same here.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:44 PM

most people with super spotless houses are ocd, i know some, they freak out if a crumb falls on the floor
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by madamekelly
    I try very hard to keep 'room dandruff' to a minimum. That is what they call all the 'kitsch' that seems to be acquired and sit all over creating new things to dust. I have a {3 item per flat surface} rule that I try to follow. This rule does NOT extend to my sewing area though. :oops:
    that is a great rule. I will have to try it.
    Old 01-18-2011, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by Born2Sew
    First off, I'll say that my house is a "lived in" house. Used to, I worked myself to death to try to keep it clean all the time, only to turn around and find that my bunch had managed to make it all a mess again. It takes everyone doing their part to help out. I just hated it when I had just mopped and waxed or steam cleaned the carpet only to find that someone had tracked grease from the front door all the way to the bathroom. Somewhere in all that I decided to back off and worry more about what absolutely needs to be done. If they didn't care enough to make my job easier, then why should I work myself to death for nothing. I still try to keep the kitchen as clean as possible. After all, cleanliness is next to Godliness my grandma always said. Especially where food is prepared and consumed. On the baking issue, since hubby is baking bread so often and we aren't buying store bought now, it makes the house smell soooo good.

Dust? We live on the north side of a county dirt road. It's impossible to not have dust here. My mom tells me we get more dust here in 1 day than she did where she lived before in 6 months. Bad for the allergies too. Not much I can do about that I'm afraid. The only time I can open the windows is after a rain.

I think trying to keep down clutter is one of the most important things we can do.

I had an aunt who kept her house absolutely immaculate. Just like a good housekeeping photograph. Hated going over to visit her because it made me uncomfortable. I want people to feel comfortable at my house most of all.
    Touche, this is also my problem, i work 10hr days 12hour with comute, and the other days i am watchin my rambunctious 14month old who is busy busy busy, wish i had time to clean. My house is extremely lived in. i would need a housekeeper to keep up, who has the money
    Old 01-18-2011, 08:19 PM

Originally Posted by denise d
    I have 2 little kids, 2 big dogs and a cat. So I know living in a mess. ;D

I notice dog hair, clutter and smells.

Those of you with dogs, kids and cats, know I am fighting a losing battle. ;) Floors get swept and vacuumed 2x a day to keep some of the hair under control.

My hubby is king of clutter... he has a box that I fill up once a week with his mail/ magazines. After a month he stuffs it in a closet... I toss it after 3 months.

Lastly, my gram always told me... if you want the house to smell good... cook up some bacon and onions. She also told me that if I forgot to get dinner started when hubby was on the way home to employ same method and he will think that I have been cooking all day. Then divert his attention, pretend to burn said dinner and make him take you out. LOL
    I like the burned the dinner thing :lol:
    Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM
    Power Poster

clean kithchens and bathrooms.