Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How did you meet your significate other? >
  • How did you meet your significate other?

• How did you meet your significate other?

Old 08-21-2011, 03:55 AM

My hubby came to Woolco shoe department looking for a pair of shoes to start a new job the next day. I was working straightening shoes not long before closing and he wanted help finding dress shoes in his size. He knew someone that worked in another department and asked him to introduce us. We had one date, got married one month later and will be married 33 years September 1st.

I wouldn't recommend anyone else do it the way we did, I tell my hubby that we didn't know each other and either of us could have been an axe murderer. We have had our ups and downs but are very happy together.
    Old 08-21-2011, 03:56 AM

Blind date in February of 1973. Married August 25th 1973.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:10 AM

I was Helping at my parents Jewelry store when he came in and was buying a ring - No not engagement but a nice stone ring for his girlfriend who was coming home from college. I was stringing a strand of knotted pearls for the third time and the string broke again and I said "Oh" and closed my mouth (because dad said we could not swear in public" he turned and said "shit."
    That night his girlfriend asked him if he minded that she had two boyfriends and he said "Yes - and let her keep the ring and sent her back to college boyfriend."
    The next day he stopped back into my parents store with the excuse that "His parents wanted to say hi to them." I was in the back changing into painting clothes as I was headed to a painting class. I walked out and said hi and kept going. That night he called and asked me out, he had to call three times - I was in no rush to get home from class.

Have been marreid for 21+ years.

He told me this past month that he should send me someplace - I keep cutting up perfectly good material and sewing it back together.
    I said that sounds like a quilt retreat - when do I go.
    He was thinking a different place to get examined.
    Yes we do laugh sometimes - it helps to keep the marriage going. To often couples give up instead of working things out.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:11 AM

Like my mother said before she and my father left for out of town "Don't have any parties." I did. This gorgeous hunk of man came over with his brother and a friend of mine. Love at first sight. He proposed to me the night we met. I ACCEPTED. Three months later he gave me my engagement ring, three months after that we were married and celebrated 51 years of marriage this past June.

The day we were married we had $58.00 to our name, a week's worth of groceries, including all the staples to start married life with that cost $25.00 and a sweet apartment that cost $75.00 a month!

Even though it was tough, really tough, we made it. We found out that if we didn't have the money, we didn't get it. I never liked charge cards (credit cards) and if we wanted or needed something we saved for it.

Fifty one years later, we still do it that way. That's the best part of all -- saving for something you want or need. The anticipation and the satisfaction that you bought it and didn't have to worry about paying for it later. It has worked for us.
    We have a son, a daughter-in-law, three grandchildren and soon we will be great-grandparents for the first time. OMG!

Life is good! Edie
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:17 AM

We met roller skating.I was skating with 2 boys where they move up and the next pair moved up to me.That was it.Dated for about 3 years and have been married for 47 years and 4 kids.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:21 AM

Blind date and we married 3 months later. We were both out of college and I knew the moment I met him DH was the one. First date the end of June 42 years ago. He's still the one!!
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:22 AM

Match.com :)
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:34 AM

He held the door open for me at the Country Store. I was hooked. Been together 52 years in Oct.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:37 AM

At a wedding reception, he knew the groom and I knew the bride.
    I noticed him at the wedding because he was wearing his safety glasses. I worked assembling them. Talked to him at the reception, he asked me to dance. He says I clung to him after the dance and he didn't have a chance to ask anyone else to dance. The next day I stayed away from home all day so I wouldn't get calls from him. He managed to remember my last name and find my number. He called all of my last name in the book, good thing it wasn't Johnson or Smith. Talked for hours on Sunday with a date on Monday. At wok on Monday, I found out several of my coworkers went to school with him. I kept asking them if he was ok, yes he was.
    That was 33 years ago, been married 30.
    Old 08-21-2011, 04:40 AM

I came to Chicago as a Nanny and he came to Chicago after college for his first job. We met via friends and took an instant liking to each other. Two rural kids in a big city! After 6 years got married and moved downstate to a more rural area. It has been 36 years.