Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do you avoid grease spots on doilies under cookies? >
  • How do you avoid grease spots on doilies under cookies?

• How do you avoid grease spots on doilies under cookies?

Old 07-09-2013, 02:55 AM

If you put talcum powder on them, before they dry, a lot of the oil is soaked up. However, by the time one has consumed the bikkies, I don't know that it would be good form to grab the doilies and head for the wash house....
    P.S. Whoops! I thought you meant real doilies. I wouldn't worry about the paper ones as I perceive them as being designed to soak up the oil and easily thrown away.

Last edited by jitkaau; 07-09-2013 at 03:01 AM.
    Old 07-09-2013, 04:01 AM

The doilies are paper, and yes, they get thrown out. I like the foil idea and had thought of the Saran Wrap over the doily, but didn't do it. So maybe next time. Also, the foil circles may be good...or maybe I'll just forget it all, put them directly on the plate and pretend they aren't mine!! :-)
    Jitkaau, what is talcum powder in Australia? In the States, it generally means a powder one uses on their body or on a baby's bottom!!!!! Oh my! Gave me a chuckle, though! :-) Thanks for that!
    Old 07-09-2013, 04:24 AM

Put Paper Towel on the Racks you cool them on...then the Greasy marks will be on the paper towels before You plate them... My mom always cooled her cookies on layers of Newspaper or you could use cut Brown paper Grocery bags.. Never hurt us kids any and if the ladies ate your cookies with no complaints I wouldn't worry about it... I think the above post - Could She mean Powdered Sugar ?
    Old 07-09-2013, 04:42 AM

Originally Posted by Jean in Ohio13452
    Put Paper Towel on the Racks you cool them on...then the Greasy marks will be on the paper towels before You plate them... My mom always cooled her cookies on layers of Newspaper or you could use cut Brown paper Grocery bags.. Never hurt us kids any and if the ladies ate your cookies with no complaints I wouldn't worry about it... I think the above post - Could She mean Powdered Sugar ?
    I do a lot of 4-H judging, and the girls are supposed to have their cookies on a plate. I tell them to use Styrofoam as opposed to paper plates, as they don't see the grease spots there. We know the fat is in the cookie, but we don't like to see it. It would forego the doilies and just put them on a pretty plate. That way the fat doesn't show. You can't put them on a paper towel and absorb the fat. It will always be there.
    Old 07-09-2013, 06:24 AM

Originally Posted by coopah
    I was asked to bring cookies to church. Sure, no problem! I made snickerdoodles and they came out fine. However, I placed a paper doily under them and it was literally soaked with grease from the cookies by the time they were served. Embarassing!!! Do you have any suggestions for avoiding this? Chocolate chips did the same thing. What cookies do you make to take to "dos?"
    Personally, I would be glad they left a mark - indicates a tasty butter content. If I picked a cookie up and there was NO mark, I would know it would probably be tasteless and be dry as a bone! Your cookies are fine - just put them right on a decorative plate if the marks bother you.
    Old 07-09-2013, 06:37 AM

Many cake boards have the doily printed on them. Inexpensive and pretty.
    Old 07-09-2013, 09:55 AM

You made me hungry for Snickerdoodles. LOL
    Old 07-09-2013, 07:43 PM

[QUOTE=coopah;6167495]The doilies are paper, and yes, they get thrown out. I like the foil idea and had thought of the Saran Wrap over the doily, but didn't do it. So maybe next time. Also, the foil circles may be good...or maybe I'll just forget it all, put them directly on the plate and pretend they aren't mine!! :-)
    Jitkaau, what is talcum powder in Australia? In the States, it generally means a powder one uses on their body or on a baby's bottom!!!!! Oh my! Gave me a chuckle, though! :-) Thanks for that![/QUOTE

I too live in Australia and gee I would also love to know what Jitkaau means with that talcum powder.....???? For me it also means powder you put on your body and while reading the post it shot through my mind what the cookies would taste like after they have been sprinkled with talcum powder ..... :-)