Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >
  • How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

• How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-21-2011, 10:45 AM

I said "Downer" but Roxy actually takes anti-anxiety medication. I am going to try the "settle" massage. I would love to get her into a relaxed state during a storm. I have gotten her beyond being scared when there is only rain. That is a little progress
    Old 04-21-2011, 11:22 AM

put one of your husbands t-shirts on her-really-put her head in the head hole and her front paws thru the sleeves and pull the shirt down over her body-I don't know why it works but I have good friends who have dogs and they say it works
    Old 04-21-2011, 11:35 AM

HOW RIGHT YOU ARE , IT IS CALLED TOUGH LOVE . IT WORKS ONLY IF YOU ARE REALLY CALM YOUR SELF.
    Old 04-21-2011, 11:46 AM

It is helpful too to help your pet find an area he can see as a "safe place." A kennel, a closet, anywhere that he KNOWS he can go and be safe. Perhaps a toy or a blanket or activity that is soothing to him too. It's difficult not to try to comfort him when he is upset, but it is equally important to make sure that he is keeping himself (and your belongings) safe as well. Some dogs get such anxiety they will try to dig or chew their way to safety and it doesn't matter where they are or if they scrape their nails and paws raw. If they have a safe haven, and you provide as comfortable of an environment as possible, that will help his anxiety some. It would definitely be helpful to talk to your vet about it too. You may not always be present for the thunderstorms and if they learn to expect you to to be there, and you aren't, that could make the situation worse. They need a "safe spot" that they can go and self-soothe.
    Good luck! These fears in pets can be a challenge.

Originally Posted by JulieR
    Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
    Old 04-21-2011, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by craftybear
    How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Last night here in central Indiana we had some bad storms and my new shih tzu dog, Sophie, was scared to death and paced the family room floor. She is 5 years old and I just rescued her on April 11th.
    We had a dog who was terribly afraid of thunder storms. We adopted him from a shelter and he came from Puerto Rico. He used to try to hide so I made him a 'safe place". I put one of his dog beds in the den on the side of the couch away from the window. When the storms started he would go right to that spot and stay there until it passed. I also closed the blinds so he would not see the lightening. I now have another dog from PR and he would go out and stand in the storm and not be afraid if we let him. Like humans they are all so different.
    Old 04-21-2011, 12:28 PM

my dog was found as a small puppy lost in some woods on a truck stop, in the middle of the night. Hes always been afraid of everything. storms esp. I know when a storm will be hitting within half an hr cus hes already shaking before human ears can hear the thunder. Hes a big old golden retriever and I let him jump up on the bed and hold him close and in a few mins hes feeling better and he will get off the bed himself. he just wants to feel hes safe w/ me. Im not rewarding him, Im not the rewarding type. No food at the table - he never begs, he wont even eat most people food, he never tries to get on the bed, even during storms, I have to ask him up, but he does need to feel safe,( and that theres a lesder of the pack.) I would do that for any living thing- human or animal. sharet
    Old 04-21-2011, 02:47 PM

I have used JulieR 's method successfully on my rescued German Shepherd after trying the drugs, and restricting him to his kennel. The only difference in her method and mine is I put his leash on him and issue a sharp correction just as if he were misbehaving in some other manner should he start to act nervous. Remember dogs are not human and they can only focus on one thing at a time. The most important point is to only give affection to any dog when the dog is doing something you want it to do. It is also a good idea to try to make the dog tired before the storm, a good game of ball or a long walk helps my guy a great deal.
    Old 04-21-2011, 02:53 PM

Thundershirt. I have heard really great things about these. I also have a dog that is frightened by thunder and fireworks. I plan to order one of these before the July festivities this year.
    Old 04-21-2011, 04:23 PM
    Power Poster

Three of my four cats are afraid of storms. None of the dogs I have had or have now were ever afraid of storms.
    Old 04-21-2011, 04:45 PM

That "Thundershirt" has a web site, www.thundershirt.com
    also a phone# 866-892-2078 .It is worth every penny, I just got one for my bigger and older yorkie, you can use the codeRD343 for free shipping. The web site has a video.