Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >
  • How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

• How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-22-2011, 10:57 AM

I,too, was surprised with the thundershirt, as I have made several doggie coats in the years past. I am still glad I purchased it though, and will possibly make the next one. I have no problems with the othe two "boys" and at this age we have decided not to have more. I can't imagine life without them. Nice to know about the spandex in the material, so thanks!
    Old 04-22-2011, 12:53 PM

I've seen experts say you ignore them because the more you "make" of their discomfort, it reinforces the behavior. We go the the health store and buy Rescue Remedy and gave it to our dogs at the first sound of thunder. It calmed them down and people can take it as well ;-)
    Old 04-22-2011, 12:56 PM

Seems like all of our animals were afraid of lightening and thunder. The outside cats when we lived in the country would come up by the garage about 10 minutes before it started so they would sense it. Our dogs always seemed to want on my lap with a quilt over top. I always hated it too so we comforted each other!
    Old 04-22-2011, 11:22 PM

Have not read every reply so if this has been mentioned, please forgive me. Get a tape recording of thunder, play it with very low volume, ignore the sound, play fetch with your dog or some other fun activity. Do this at the low volume for as many days as it takes dog to ignore the sound, then slowly increase the volume, just a little each day and if dog seems bothered by a certain volume, make it lower again. Lots of work, but worth it for the dog to be comfortable.
    Jeannette in NJ
    Old 04-23-2011, 09:24 AM
    Banned

Originally Posted by suern3
    Try a Thundershirt! We have a 6 year old Maltese who has always been afraid of thunder and fireworks. My DH did not want to give him drugs because he is so small (and they are best friends). The Thundershirt works on the same theory as swaddling a baby. It is made of strechy material and velcro. Makes him feel cozy and secure. It really does calm him, although sometimes needs to be in his little kennel also. You can look it up on line, but we bought ours from our humane society. The company offers a money back garantee, if it doesn't work for your dog. We found it worth the money, about $30, I think. I used to have to carry him around in my arms like a baby, could not sit down, had to walk with him. LOL

like you don't like sedatives except homeopathic argent nit[ do try], my ETS was a v scared little man and would hold him tight ,similar to above but by me, also drew the curtains and put radio on.
    Old 04-23-2011, 10:53 AM
    Power Poster

I don't want to give my Molly drugs, I had a pom poo I had to give drugs and she looked zoned out all of the time. During storms, Molly lays against my shoulder and I put a fleece blankie over her. She is a cuddle bug which helps. When we go to bed under the covers she goes. It worried me at first that she wouldn't be able to breathe under all of those covers or I would roll on her, but it doesn't bother her and she moves quickly as soon as I move.

They say to ignore them, but when she sits on the floor by me and quivers and whines, it is too hard to ignore.
    Old 04-26-2011, 05:05 PM

My son's girlfriend's dog jumps up on him around his neck so he can keep her safe, if she is here with us she will jump up on my hubby to be safe. When she's alone she hides under the blankets on their bed or under the bed. I'm not much help scared also. Sue
    Old 04-26-2011, 05:34 PM
    Banned

My Sophie is not afraid of the lightning rain or wind,but the thuinder terrifies her. I put her on my lap with a blanket on her and she is fine then.
    Old 04-30-2011, 07:24 AM

I have to agree. This is the same advise I got from Guide Dogs for the Blind when I started having problems with my guide dog. It seems cruel, but it really is the best way. Don't reward your dog for bad behavior. That's exactly what you are doing without even knowing it. No coddling. You will both be better for it.

Originally Posted by JulieR
    Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
    Old 10-25-2012, 03:03 AM

amen to julieR i do the same thing .