Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms? >
  • How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

• How do you calm a dog down that is afraid of thunder storms?

Old 04-21-2011, 06:37 AM

I would never under any circumstances give my dog a Downer.

When PeeWee was afraid, I just cuddled her. She felt safe and I knew she knew I loved her.

Where is love in a downer?
    Old 04-21-2011, 06:48 AM

My beloved Jonah, my avatar, jumps on the bed and sticks his head under the pillows. He just wants to be close when the storms come.
    Old 04-21-2011, 06:57 AM

You can find some anti-anxity drugs (all natural) on this web site, I would probably try to find them cheaper. www.naturalpetmarket.com My daughter said for the bendryl 10 miligrams for every 50 lbs. Dominicks carries Rescue Remedy (for people, liquid) can be used for animals. Another alternative would be a Thunder shirt which wraps snuggly around them for comfort (also used for autism). We had a golden that we rescued from Young at heart (Harry who was 13) who could not sit still during storms, so we used the natural stuff to calm him down. When the storm hit the other night, I was reminded of Harry.
    Old 04-21-2011, 06:58 AM

Doggie Downers or Benedryl. The latter is less expensive
    Old 04-21-2011, 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by JulieR
    Okay, this is going to sound very unpopular but just hear me out. LOL

DO NOT comfort a dog that is afraid. Don't coddle him, pet him or otherwise try to "love" him better.

Why not? For the same reason that you DO pet him when he does something good: you are telling him that whatever he just did is the right thing to do! So when you pet him while he's panicking in a storm you're telling him he was right - he SHOULD be afraid!

Instead, you need to be calm and confident. Lead by example - project the idea that there is nothing to fear, and that you are in control of the situation. You aren't going to let anything bad happen to him, but you can't tell him that with words or petting - instead, let your body language and energy tell him that.

As tough as it is, you have to ignore the behavior you don't want. In this case, I would put him in a sit or down position next to you, silently project your calm confidence and read a book or sew something. As long as he is sitting where you asked him to be, ignore him until he calms down - THEN you can praise him, thereby reinforcing the relaxed behavior.

No drugs, no feeling sorry for him. Instead help him face his fears and get over them. It isn't easy and it won't be instant, but I promise it's well worth the effort!
    We did not want to medicate our frightened dog so we tried this method for months. We were dedicated to helping her get better. We were positive in our actions and did not coddle or pet her. We acted normal and went about our day as if it were any other day. This did not work for us and our Boston. There was no getting over the fear for Roxy. We live if Florida, the state with the most thunder and lighting, plus we have loud bombing from the AF base. The vet says the dog feels the static electricity from the storms in the hair follicles long before the storm arrives. So.....doggie downers it is. Roxy runs to the kitchen where her pills are and flips on her back because she wants the pill so bad. Once she has 1/2 of a pill, she calms in about 15 minutes.

Roxy
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]187144[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-187138.jpe  
    Old 04-21-2011, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by JanP
    Just as many of you have said, my trainer advised not to baby the dog or say "It's OK." Just act nonchalant, unworried, maybe curious about the thunder, but not scared of it.

She also teaches how to help the dog "settle," a technique that helps with storms or anything that makes the dog anxious. It's a calming massage that you can't do too much -- anytime you're just watching TV or whatever. She said the dog will eventually calm down just when it hears the word.

That is what my dog well do, even if it real cold. She won't stay in the house. She'll get under the porch and get soaked if the wind is blowing. if you try to keep in the house, she well tear up anything she get close to, even myself. She cratches the walls, digs at wall plugs she just goes crazy. You talk to her but does no good, try holding her and she won't let you. It is real bad when she is like this, but she likes the car, so I put her in it and she goes to sleep
    You use two fingers to massage the dog starting at its cheek, going to the top of its head, down one side of the spine, and onto its thigh -- but don't reverse the process -- in other words, always start at the head. All the time you're doing this, say, "Settle" over and over.

Wonder of wonders, it seems to be working with my Golden. He's SOOOO much calmer.

I know there are extremes though -- I fostered one dog that was so totally terrified she'd go insane and even run outside into the storm.
    Old 04-21-2011, 08:03 AM

I suppose it depends on what you want. If you want a dog that feels loved when he's afraid, by all means cuddle him up when scary things happen.

My goal is to have dogs that aren't afraid in the first place.
    Old 04-21-2011, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by Rettie V.Grama
    I would never under any circumstances give my dog a Downer.

When PeeWee was afraid, I just cuddled her. She felt safe and I knew she knew I loved her.

Where is love in a downer?
    I think theres a huge difference between a "Downer" and an anti-anxiety medication. Something that helps change a dogs physiological state from terror to being less afraid can help them learn how to deal with the stress caused by a storm. They are very safe, they don't cause addition in a dog and they make them feel a lot better.

Theres a LOT of love when you do something that helps your dog be less afraid. If cuddling works, thats all you need, and thats great for you, but many dogs need more than that. Anyone who has ever seen their dog truly afraid understands.

I think its kind of rude to suggest that someone who helps their dog by medicating it doesn't love their dog. Maybe thats not what you meant, but thats what it sounds like.
    Old 04-21-2011, 08:19 AM

We had terrible storms here in Southeast Missouri a couple of nights ago too. I have 2 black labs, Rhett and Scarlett, and a mix named Daisy. Scarlett is terrified of storms, they don't bother Rhett or Daisy, and since she's gotten older I watch the weather and the sky so when it starts coming in I put up the baby gate between the livingroom and kitchen, lay a blanket on the floor and let them both inside. I know there are many different opinions as to how to handle this type of situation but we just have to do what we feel is right. I choose to let them inside and cuddle up with Scarlett until the storm passes. She's given me so much love and happiness that I feel this is one way I can return that gift to her.
    Old 04-21-2011, 09:28 AM

My dogs are OK but my old cat Mindy Sue freaks out at loud noises she hides in the can good cabinet So thanks for the info on the Pet Calm we're expecting 6 days of storms out of the next 10days