Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs? >
  • How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

• How do you get rid of CFL light bulbs?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM

The old light bulbs are being phased out...To hear the government explain disposal you just simply bag it up and trash it...not so says my husband the fire marshal..you have to be careful about the disposal because of the MERCURY that is in the bulb...then you take it to a hazardous dump site... Now who ever came up with this idea of using bulbs with mercury, (you can't even find the old thermometers that had mercury anymore), in them is just plain nuts...
    Old 03-09-2011, 03:09 PM
    Power Poster

I think the politicians were asleep on this one. We have to deliver these mercury bulbs to a Home Depot to recycle which is a 45 min drive...how am I conserving energy?? The eye strain is costing more in medical bills, duh...bring back our incandescents!
    Old 03-09-2011, 03:28 PM

I know how difficult it is to find the old kind and my friend told me in a year we won't be able to buy any old type and I hate the new kind. it looks awful and they have mercury in them. I bought $35 of the old kind a couple months ago. If you find some I would suggest you do that.
    Old 03-09-2011, 03:32 PM

Yes I did play with mercury. My brother had some in his dawer and I would get it out and play with it on my chinnel bed spread.
    Originally Posted by Connie in CO
    When we were younger didn't we put mercury on dime to make them look nice?
    Old 03-09-2011, 03:35 PM

I feel like I should go buy more. Panic
    Old 03-09-2011, 04:11 PM

Leave it to the gov't. to mess things up. Years ago farmers were paid to plant multiflora roses. When all were established, they paid them to get rid of them. Our tax $ at work. Grrrrrr.
    Old 03-09-2011, 04:27 PM

Originally Posted by june6995
    Yes, in biology class, for some reason, we always had a broken thermometer to use to get some mercury. we used used quarters if anyone had them and dimes and nickels. And in time they said there was mercury in the filling materials the dentist put in our teeth and they took out the fillings to keep up safe. Now if they find some mercury in a neighborhood, they shut down the school because mercury is dangerous. Please tell me how I and my friends have lived so long...77 and 80 years , and we held that mercury in our hands!

Some days I wonder what is safe and what is just the making of scare tactics.
    sign me....getting old and wondering about a lot of things.
    June in Cincinnati
    Just call me a cynical but I believe everything that is mandated today is all about money. Consumers beware. We are the money grubber's ginny (?) pigs. I hate the CLR's because they take 20 minutes or so to come to full light. If I am going up the stairs, I need to see now not 20 minutes later. I hate them. I have been stocking up on the old ones.
    Old 03-09-2011, 04:35 PM

During the last year, I purchased "good" light bulbs every time I went to Home Depot, and am still doing so if they are there. Now, I hope I have enough to last the rest of my life. I can just see my children going through my closet after I'm gone.... they will really think Mom was "nuts"...
    If I should be here long enough to use all these bulbs, I am going to candles and lanterns.... I will never have those poisonous
    lights in my house..... :lol:

PK
    Old 03-09-2011, 04:55 PM

I have been stockpiling incandescent bulbs. Have them stored in plastic totes in the garage. I did buy some of the CFLs when they first came out and I absolutely hate them. Who wants to walk in the bathroom, turn on the lights and be finished before the room is lit up?

Just another case of our do-gooder powers that be and enviromentalists deciding what is good for us.
    Old 03-09-2011, 05:17 PM

Yea! Good for you...

At the end of last year, I was at Home Depot, and they had a "special" on the devil bulbs, no sales tax, if I bought those. I politely said, no thanks, and proceeded to checkout with my 8 packages of real bulbs.....

PK :thumbup: