Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do you manage your time after you retire? >
  • How do you manage your time after you retire?

• How do you manage your time after you retire?

Old 08-22-2011, 01:00 PM

I have been retired for about 8 yrs now and at first it was sooo difficult to let goooo: I always felt like I needed a schedule or know exactly what I was doing that day: I have learned how to relax and be at peace with myself. If I feel like quilting awww sure that is what I do - of course there r the MUST things to do but I try to do them with a Happy Attitude. The more I quilt - the more I dream Quilts. (thinking of my current quilt and what I'm going to do NEXT). Congrats to you - Enjoy each day to the FULLEST.
    Old 08-22-2011, 01:01 PM

opened a small fabric store, sew and manage a mini-mall. What is retirement anyway!!?
    Old 08-22-2011, 01:06 PM

I'm 62 and can't wait until I retire. I have so many projects in my head that I will never get them all done :)
    Old 08-22-2011, 01:19 PM

I have never been bored since I retired and it is 12 yrs now. I had to keep a schedule when I worked but none since I retired. I do as I please when I please. I swim and take yoga classes once a week and the rest of the time I wing it.
    Old 08-22-2011, 02:10 PM

I have been retired for 20 years. In the beginning I did a lot of volunteer work--hospital and church and learned how to quilt. Took up golfing so I could go with DH. As the years go by, age and health changes your outlook on retirement. Now the days are pretty repetitive. Do the things you want to do early in your retirement--don't wait and always take time to "smell the roses".
    Old 08-22-2011, 02:13 PM

Originally Posted by Quilterfay
    I will retire in Nov of this year. Currently I am just happy to sit down and read my quilting emails. I have a stressful job and I don't want to do anything after work or on the weekends.
    So I am worried about what I will do when I retire. Did you set yourself a schedule so you got other things done.
    I always think about quilting but seem to get little of it done. I will quilt like crazy and then I don't for a while. I have a short arm and frame down stairs that I really haven't used much.
    I am only 56 so I can't become a blob once I quit working. any suggestions! I am really happy about retiring. I started working at age 17 so I am looking forward to retirement.
    Now I have become nervous about what I will do.
    I retired when I was 55 and found my "schedule" created itself. I get my husband out the door, do the daily light household chores (shower, clean bath, make the bed, press his clothes for the next day), then I go to my sewing room until lunch time. Then I do more thorough cleaning projects, prepare dinner, etc. Hope this helps!
    Old 08-22-2011, 02:36 PM

Thats the good thing about retirement, you don't have to manage our time of you don't want to. Jan
    Old 08-22-2011, 02:58 PM

I, too, retired at the age of 56 and I haven't regretted it for one moment! You will find a whole new life that you never dreamed of and so many opportunities to do/try things you never had time for when you were working. I taught school and I always liked to "hang out" in the school library. So now I volunteer one day a week at the local library and love it! Some days I get on a quilting frenzy and can't pull myself away. Then I go for weeks reading, or cleaning, or ... The great thing is I get to pick and choose what I do. DH and I laugh sometimes and say we need to move back to our former home and get a job- just so we can get some rest! :lol:
    Old 08-22-2011, 03:11 PM

What time? since I retired I am busier than ever.
    Old 08-22-2011, 03:16 PM

I make a list on Monday morning, start it in my head while I'm thinking about getting up or rolling over and going back to sleep. When I get up I sit quietly and make a list of things I want to get done this week. Sometimes I add to it during the day. On Friday what I didn't get crossed out goes on next weeks list. As long as there are SOME crossed out I"m good. Some things are on the list for several weeks. If I do something that wasn't on the list I put it on the list and then cross it out! I always feel productive at the end of the week after seeing how many I have done.