Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do you manage your time after you retire? >
  • How do you manage your time after you retire?

• How do you manage your time after you retire?

Old 08-22-2011, 05:42 AM

I retired Oct 2010 after 43 years in a high stress, many hrs/wk job. It's a huge adjustment. However about 6 months before retirement I started quilting and that has become my passion. The first 6 months i was very busy with projects around the house and making many quilts. Now I've gotten lazier. I get my laptop and get on this board every am while lounging in bed. Then i go to water aerobics and then come home and fool round until lunchtime. After lunch i start quilting and do that for hours unless the grandkids come over. My sewing room is tidy but my house only gets cleaned when really necessary. Thank God DH does most of it. I don't even cook as much as I used to. I think I have to put myself on a schedule so i get more accomplished.
    Old 08-22-2011, 05:43 AM

Good suggestions!
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:08 AM

Tanya and I have had similar retirements and I'm jealous of those of you who have so much freedom. Life has taken over the last 5 years since I retired and my time has been spent taking care of sick relatives. My mom is 96 and my sis and I take care of her full time. My daughter is bipolar and has had a recent episode with that and I've been back and forth with her and I've had quite a spell with surgery followed by a scary bout of seizures and hospital stay. Keep hoping to have the long vacation everyone talks of but so far haven't gotten there yet.LOL Good Luck with your retirement but not everyone has the freedom that others speak of.
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by june6995
    How is that women can retire. Do you still have to cook and clean house and keep the laundry done, as well as run errands and bring home the groceries, then start all over again. I never held a job outside my home, raised 4 children and kept busy all the time. Well guess what? Now at 77 I am still doing all the things I did before. Only exception is not having to drive kids to school/events.

and to top it all off....I do not get a Pension and SS is a joke for someone who never held a job.

I am sure there are lot of us...in this boat!

June in Cincinnati
    Same boat, June! Barb
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:24 AM

All I can tell you is I don't know how I fit a 12hr a day job in my life, doing all the things I now do. (I think it is because it takes me longer to do things)

I don't plan - just do what I am (or my body) is in the mood for....
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 AM
    Power Poster

I've been retired for 3 years. The only time I try to manage is if I have an appointment. Other days I do what I please. Occasionally stay in pj's till noon!! I love to quilt so do a lot of that and read! Of course I'm involved in my church and have grandchildren (10)
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:33 AM

What schedule?? Truly after awhile you will have a schedule without thinking about it but you can change things up if you want! Retirement is wonderful, so much less stress! :lol:
    Old 08-22-2011, 06:57 AM

I have been r etired now for a couple of years. Love it. I have more t ime to make quilts, do gardening in the summer, read or whatever I want to do. I also help my daughter with some of her projects. Seems I'm always busy. Love being able to just do what I want to do and have time for it.
    Old 08-22-2011, 07:12 AM

I have a long time before retirement comes.... almost 25 years to go.....ughhhhhhhhh
    Old 08-22-2011, 07:22 AM

I've been retired about five years and love it. I'm not on a schedule -- I just do what I want, when I want. Of course, I'm a grandmother to 8, so busy with them. I never have a chance to be bored, with the grandkids and with my quilting. My DH & I share the housework; so that's a plus for me.
    Enjoy your retirement!