Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How do you manage your time after you retire? >
  • How do you manage your time after you retire?

• How do you manage your time after you retire?

Old 08-22-2011, 08:52 AM

I have been retired since 97 and I still do not know what I do, but I am always behind and never get done what I want to on any given day. Oh, well, so in 50 yrs., who will know the difference. I honestly don't know how I found the time to work.
    Old 08-22-2011, 09:41 AM

Join a quilt guild or other organization that appeals to you and you will soon find you are busier than you ever anticipated!
    Old 08-22-2011, 10:13 AM

Originally Posted by Pam B
    I just turned 55 in July and now qualify for early-retirement from our school system (I teach Kdg). Gosh, what a monumental decision it is going to be!!! I attended a retirement meeting on Weds. I really do not feel *old* enough to be retired and I know that unstructured days are really not good for me at all. I would, however, like the freedom to do some travelling when DH has to travel on business and also to, hopefully, be available to babysit if DS and DIL decide to have children (childcare nowadays is so much more costly than when my children were little). I would also like to be able to do some volunteer work.

I am not saying I will retire at the end of this coming school year but...I am starting to explore it and try to be able to make a wise decision when the time comes.
    Pam- My DH made the decision to apply for early retirement last summer. (In our district, there is a bonus for about 5 or 6 people who are 55 or older to leave each year.) He has one more year to go. Last year was a little stressful but he is so much more relaxed now as he heads into his last year of teaching. I have to wait a bit longer so that will be interesting. Our plan was to wait until I could go and leave together but things just got too stressful for him so I couldn't hold him to that plan. Good luck with your decision.
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:03 AM

Enjoy your retirement! Our kids have commented on how much busier we are now than before retirement. LOL
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:07 AM

Forget the nervousness...retirement is awsome. Volunteering, playing games/lunch with friends once a month, sewing prayer quilts for hospitals/churches, going shopping for great deals, etc. Believe me if you fill your retirment like helping others and enjoying life you will be fine. Good luck
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:12 AM

I love retirement. I ususally figure out a "weekly" schedule of what I want to do...then fill in my chores around it lol.
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:22 AM

The wonder of retirement is that you have the freedom to follow your dreams. I would just relax for a few weeks and then discover your community and all it has to offer. Enjoy every day and smile!!!
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:41 AM

Try winging it for a while. If it doesn't get done today, it might get done tomorrow (and then maybe not). It takes a couple of months for the stress in your body to go away.
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:45 AM

Originally Posted by erstan947
    I have been retired for 2 years. There is never enough time in the day to get what I want done. I can't imagine being bored. Retirement is what you make of it. Quilting is My passion and I'm so happy to have the time to enjoy it:)
    Me too.
    Old 08-22-2011, 11:58 AM

The beautiful thing about being retired is that there is no need to manage or schedule your time. Everyday is a day to do what you love and want to do on your own terms. Managing time was what I did when I worked and there was never enough of it. I still find I do not have enough time but now it is not for the have to do things but for the things I love to do. Plan to enjoy everyday even if it is a day to just stay in your PJ's and read this board all day long!