How to grow Potatoes

Old 07-25-2011, 03:06 AM
Swap Hosts

Originally Posted by carolaug
http://www.gardeningblog.net/2008/06/23/grow-potatoes-in-a-trash-can/

I was reading this....my potatoes are in my garden not a trash can...but what I find interesting and I did not know was you need to put dirt around the plant during growing season as it grows you need to keep adding dirt.
If you look here: http://tipnut.com/grow-potatoes/ you'll see some ideas. Scroll down and you'll see the side by side compost bin/potato box my husband made for me from pallets. If you click on the link you'll see more in Food Security 2009.

This year I was too busy sewing to turn the compost and use it in the garden with the end result that I now have a tomato/potato/cucumber jungle. Decided to just leave it although it is a PITA to get some of the tomatoes out.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:21 AM

I grow potatoes also. But I do it the lazy woman's way. Every fall I cover my garden rows with straw. At planting time I toss the seed potatoes on top of the straw covered rows and start piling the straw on top of them as I uncover the rows. The potato plants keep growing up through the straw. The part I like best about my method is I can root through the staw to find a couple of potatoes if I need them and I do not have to pull the whole plant and they are clean, not dirt. I grow Yukon Gold, Klamath Pearls, Red Lasota, Kennebec and multi colored fingerling varieties. Oh, I also grow lot's of vounteers, I alway miss a few and have them appear unexpectledy in the garden.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:36 AM

We tried this years ago - ended up with less potatoes than if we'd put them in the ground to begin with... never did it again.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:26 AM

We do this with old car tyres - just add another tyre as it grows.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:36 AM

to those who grow potatoes at the grocery store - you might want to consider getting organic potatoes. I heard they use a lot of chemicals on the regular ones, and even the farmers who grow them, grow a different crop for their own families.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:13 AM

This year my DH and I found an idea about growing 50lbs. of potato's in a 1 foot square area. He made the 4 sided square of wood with one side removable. It's about 36 inches high and has boards on three sides and we added boards and dirt as they grew. They are now up over the boards and may need more dirt but we haven't removed the bottom board to see if there are really potato's growing in there.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
I grow mine at the grocery store...perfect every time.
Isn't that amazing!!!! :shock:
I also grow them this way, and get the most wonderful variety.
Works with the fruit also.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-25-2011, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by alikat110
I grow mine at the grocery store...perfect every time.
Isn't that amazing!!!! :shock:
I also grow them this way, and get the most wonderful variety.
Works with the fruit also.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
Old 07-25-2011, 10:30 AM

with the heat so bad we didn't plant this year.last year no ones garden did anthing. the year before we did fine, especially with the green pappers. we plant in kiddie swimming pools though with fencing around them to keep the animals out. people just thought we were those crazy people from california till they saw we did well that way and they didn't do so well in their in ground gardens that they were having to weed all the time and went though all that work tilling of it. the grass grew back real good and fast at least for them..
Old 07-25-2011, 10:43 AM

I tried a new way to grow my pot this year and I think it works real good.I lay the pot eye on the ground and throw hay over top.Enough so the sun wont burn the pot.