How to grow Potatoes

Old 07-25-2011, 01:20 PM

Don't know why I never thought of this...what a smart idea!!! I will try it next year. I like the thought of being able to use the pool in areas were its hard to grow...we live on a mountian so we always have to use a raised bed.
Originally Posted by cr12cats
with the heat so bad we didn't plant this year.last year no ones garden did anthing. the year before we did fine, especially with the green pappers. we plant in kiddie swimming pools though with fencing around them to keep the animals out. people just thought we were those crazy people from california till they saw we did well that way and they didn't do so well in their in ground gardens that they were having to weed all the time and went though all that work tilling of it. the grass grew back real good and fast at least for them..
Old 07-25-2011, 01:35 PM

When you're from Idaho, you just have to grow potatoes in your garden!

I just dug my first reds of the year today.

Pic here, if you're interested:
http://debzpicaday.blogspot.com/2011...45-of-365.html
Old 07-25-2011, 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta
This year my DH and I found an idea about growing 50lbs. of potato's in a 1 foot square area. He made the 4 sided square of wood with one side removable. It's about 36 inches high and has boards on three sides and we added boards and dirt as they grew. They are now up over the boards and may need more dirt but we haven't removed the bottom board to see if there are really potato's growing in there.
What a great idea!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:45 PM

I'm doing something similar. I have these potato bags that I bought from Gardener's supply on line. They are made out of breathable thick material. You plant in a small amount of dirt and build that up as the plants grow. I have lots of vines. I'll let you know how it turns out as far as yield in the fall.

Honestly - I wish I had thought of the garbage can thing. It would have been a lot cheaper!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:59 PM

carolaug-----the pools can go anywhere. my DH put the herbs and peppers up on a stand cause i can't bend over very well and the others stuff goes up as a vine. that we can lace through the fencing leaving the slit that opens so we can get in if need be.also important to poke some holes in the bottom for drainage. the neighbors stopped laughing at the crazy ca people when we were sitting having tea and they were pulling there weeds lol ( and personnaly forget about rottertilling.)sometime it is good to be a little nutty.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:04 PM

this is even better...I love the idea of not bending over to pick the veggies and no weeding! This is a must on my to do list. Thank-you!
Originally Posted by cr12cats
carolaug-----the pools can go anywhere. my DH put the herbs and peppers up on a stand cause i can't bend over very well and the others stuff goes up as a vine. that we can lace through the fencing leaving the slit that opens so we can get in if need be.also important to poke some holes in the bottom for drainage. the neighbors stopped laughing at the crazy ca people when we were sitting having tea and they were pulling there weeds lol ( and personnaly forget about rottertilling.)sometime it is good to be a little nutty.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:55 PM

We have planted potatoes out at the farm for years. When I first got married, and was very NEW to the country life, my FIL gave me 100 lbs of potatoes and said to put them in the old refrigerator to keep for all winter. I thought I would be smart and washed every one so as not to get the refrigerator full of dirt and mud. Well............lesson learned! Every one rotted. After that, potatoes went in - dirt and all. Hey, I'm a city girl!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:28 PM

Thanks for the great link.
Old 07-26-2011, 08:56 AM

Originally Posted by jamie Watson
I tried a new way to grow my pot this year and I think it works real good.I lay the pot eye on the ground and throw hay over top.Enough so the sun wont burn the pot.
LOL, I expected drug enforcement to come to your house until I read the rest of the email.
I have a question for folks. Is it too late for the spuds to still grow in Maine? I'm not talking from scratch but along the stems? I'm wondering if it's worth throwing a couple of more bags of soil on top of them for more spuds come fall.
Old 07-26-2011, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by Roberta
Originally Posted by jamie Watson
I tried a new way to grow my pot this year and I think it works real good.I lay the pot eye on the ground and throw hay over top.Enough so the sun wont burn the pot.
LOL, I expected drug enforcement to come to your house until I read the rest of the email.
I have a question for folks. Is it too late for the spuds to still grow in Maine? I'm not talking from scratch but along the stems? I'm wondering if it's worth throwing a couple of more bags of soil on top of them for more spuds come fall.
Did you already dig the others up?