Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you? >
  • How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you?

• How important is having a cup of coffee first thing in the morning to you?

Old 12-12-2017, 03:20 AM

I do not really need the coffee, but 1 cup in the morning with my email or book makes a pleasant start to my day. It is a harmless habit!
    Old 12-12-2017, 03:34 AM

I hug my cup of java as I read the quilting board....pure bliss! I enjoy the warmth of the mug in my hands and the caffeine waking me up to the wonderful world of quilting. Thanks everybody for the wonderful photos of your projects and great inspiration.
    Old 12-12-2017, 05:34 AM
    Power Poster

I agree that de-caf is awful but not bad when you mix with regular. We grind our own beans and make it strong. That way I can have 2 cups and get only 1 cup of caffeine. But if I had to drink straight de-caf I would find something else to drink!
    Old 12-12-2017, 06:21 AM

My DH makes our coffee in the morning using the Keurig machine and filling a filter cup with ground coffee. Cheaper than buying the pre-filled K-cups. He makes his VERY strong and I like it not quite as strong as his. I drink more coffee in the winter but usually only 1 cup a day other times. Not usually a tea drinker unless it is iced tea.
    Old 12-12-2017, 06:24 AM

I don't need it but I want it. I like the taste. Caf or decaf, I don't care. The only effect caffeine has on me is if I drink it too close to bedtime.
    Old 12-12-2017, 06:34 AM

Substitute Dt Coke for coffee for me and it's absolutely necessary. If I figured out how to set the timer on the coffee maker so it'd be ready, then it could just as well be coffee. I just don't want to have to make it and wait even a minute!
    Old 12-12-2017, 06:40 AM
    Power Poster

I was looking for a solution that I could tolerate for irritable bowel syndrome.
    Well, not a solution, but the best it could do for me.
    At my dd's suggestion, I tried coffee made with milk.
    Nope,...I just couldn't do it, BUT, I decided to try putting in a half pkg. of
    diet hot chocolate, bc by itself, coffee to me has a mild burnt taste.
    I LOVE COFFEE ICE CREAM though!
    That's worth shouting about. lol
    As a side benefit for an hour or two, the caffeine loosens my muscles up
    significantly.
    Now that I've been drinking this for a few months, I am very stiff in the
    mornings till I drink it.
    It does help a little with the i.b.s., but not a miracle drink. Enough to make
    me keep drinking it.
    Yes, I have noticed being "foggy" headed if I try to leave it off.
    I haven't stopped it long enough to know if it would be any worse than that.
    So, with all that, my answer is, I can barely move until I drink it.
    An engine full of gelled fuel is a pretty good descripting, but "OY VE!"
    (with the pain of fibromyalgia)
    Hope this helps.
    Old 12-12-2017, 07:28 AM

Originally Posted by Judith1005
    For the record, I love coffee, but, sadly can no longer drink hot coffee. It gives me acid reflux. But, I think it was the act of just sitting quietly (no TV, minimal to no talking) and relaxing before the day started. I just like the taste and smell of coffee. I can drink hot tea. But, it's not really my favorite and I don't really get the same relaxing feeling. I really think it's just a state of mind.

I do still drink cold/iced coffee as the process in the making is different and does not give me acid reflux. But, the feeling is still just not quite the same. lol, funny isn't it.
    I started having tummy problems drinking coffee, so I switched to 1/2 and 1/2 or just do straight decaf. I know my friend has problems with her tummy when hubby makes coffee because he makes it so strong.

It has been proven that not only is the strong roasted or bold is not good for your tummy it also loses some of the benefits that coffee gives your system. I'm lucky because I've never liked strong coffee and always use mild roasted. so maybe changing the way you make it or the one you use can help. It doesn't make me hyped or anything when I drink, I just like it as long as its made right. I can drink a cup and go to bed. I don't use sugar, just milk or cream, except for the holidays then I'll do pumpkin spice or gingerbread spice.

My grandson is 11 and has been drinking coffee in small amounts since he was little. The doctors said it won't hurt him and with him having ADHD, it has the reverse effect on kids as it does adults, it calms him down. He called me this morning to see if he could make a cup of coffee before he got on the bus. Its not an every day thing but he likes it sometimes.
    Old 12-12-2017, 07:31 AM

Mousie, I have IBSD and using the decaf or half n half and even if its regular coffee having it the mild roast really makes a difference. I don't have to take meds for the IBSD 4 times a day
    Old 12-12-2017, 03:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kris P
    Coffee is the reason I get out of bed in the morning...

i often crawl into bed and say, "I can't wait to get up and drink coffee..."

any questions?

Yes! This! I have gone to bed thinking exactly this thought.

The smell, the taste, the ritual, the brain engagement, the quiet of the morning is all a habit I love. If I run out of regular coffee, I will make do with decaf. I force myself not to be grumpy (because it really is a choice how to act, my hubby reminds me) if I absolutely cannot have any coffee for some reason in the morning. But I'm groggy, I feel grouchy, and I have to bend all the way to my ankles to pull up my happy girl panties without coffee.