Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How many members have fibromyalgia? >
  • How many members have fibromyalgia?

• How many members have fibromyalgia?

Old 04-13-2010, 09:04 AM

Yeah I didn't think that it was but don't know what is causing it. I did get a clean bill of health for that today so I guess that is a good thing. I would like to know what is causing them though.
    Old 04-13-2010, 09:28 PM

Thanks for the info on Curves. I really was looking forward to it helping me lol I should know better by now but-----we always hope.

My sewing area is upstairs so I am trying to convince hubby to buy a second garage and make it into a quilting unit. Better cross everything that will cross on that one. When I go up I make sure I am going tobe able to stay awhile. Will have everything I need to stay up there all day escep a bathroom. rofl can we say DEPENDS!!!!!
    Old 04-20-2010, 05:34 PM

Curves was very understanding and cancelled my contract at no cost. Yea!!
    Old 04-20-2010, 05:47 PM

Here is a laugh for you all - my latest pain is in my ears, not inside but the outside bits. When I lay in bed I have to lay on my side because of my bad back, but then get woken up by the pain in my ear cartilege! How is that for a novel idea!!
    Old 04-25-2010, 05:46 PM

Location: other side of the black stump, Perth Western Australia

Originally Posted by Feathers
    I was diagnosed about 3 years ago. My doctor told me they don't like to diagnose Fibro because there are so many other problems that have the same symptoms so until they can rule out everything else, they don't diagnos the Fibro. I've had nurmerous tests for rheumatoid arthritis because I have arthritis in all my joints and on both sides of my body but so far I'm not showing positive for RA...just several of the other 105 types of arthritis a body can be afflicted with. My neck and shoulder, one hip/groin area and my feet aches and pains and numbness are what bother me the most and the most frequently. Someone said they have trouble pulling the covers over them in bed, boy, I can relate there. I haven't been able to vacume my house in over a year...DH is wonderful to do this and mop the floors as these are movements in my shoulder that hurt so bad I just refuse to do it.

I'm in a bad period right now. Think it was brought on by a weinie roast over a bonfire at a church function last week where we almost froze to death...even with warm clothing on. Cold really knocks me out...rain also seems to affect my joints. And w e've had LOTS of rain the past few days. I also have alot of stress right now with a very ill mom fighting cold and flu, 3 recent heart attacks and a daughter who is battling brain cancer and has been told she is terminal ...."life is short, eat dessert first" has always been my mantra but now suguar is taboo for all of us with Fibro so guess we'll just grin and bear it as we pass the chocolate cake off to someone else. :wink:
    i feel for you for all you are going through. It is bad enough your mum being ill but it is hard to watch your own child suffer so and not be able to do anything.
    i have a lot of pains too and my feet are the worst feeling hot and burning along with a lot of what everyone is describing here but have not been diagnosed with anything. I just wondered about sugar being taboo for people with fibro..why? I have a real sugar tooth and it is what keeps me going on the bad days...
    Old 04-27-2010, 03:27 PM

I hadn't heard anything about sugar, either. I recently gave up aspertane again and switch between sugar and stevia, and am actually losing weight.
    Old 04-27-2010, 03:47 PM

I have had a problem with sugar since I was about 18 (now 51 - just!), but I have never, ever got a doctor to accept it. It makes my knees swell up hugely and they get soo hot you can see and feel the inflammation, but nobody will say what it is. I do use aspartame though because I do have a sweet tooth, oh it is such a pain in the butt isn't it!
    Old 04-28-2010, 02:27 AM

My chiro convinced me to give up sugar & carbs (for the most part).

Not only am I losing weight, but some of the back pain is gone too. He explained it that because I was eating so much (I was living off of bread/pasta & candy) my digestion system couldn't handle it so they (carbs/sugar) were attacking my muscles.

I thought it was a LOAD until I tried it for two weeks. I could feel a difference.

Yesterday was a bad day, and I ended up eating half a package of cookie dough. I could feel it in my tummy and my back by the time I woke up this morning...
    Old 04-28-2010, 06:48 AM

I am 35 and have had fibro since I was 15. Back then (early 90s), they didn't know what to call it. Finally, a rheumatologist at a children's hospial diagnosed me. This was on top of mono and very very bad undiagnosed hypothyroidism (which probably started when I was about 10, judging by my school pics). I graduated high school near the top of my class and was active in varsity sports, but other than that all I did was sleep and feel miserable. I would come home from school and sleep and when I couldn't sleep at night I would do my homework. There were months at a time I could barely walk and was in incredible joint pain (hips mostly), but I still managed to do everything (now, looking back, I have no idea how! NO IDEA)

It took about 10 years to start to go away. Went through college and grad school, although it was tough at times. (Had to balance school with fibro AND a social life! hehe! = even more erratic sleep patterns! :)) Actually, I started feeling better when I stopped taking all the medications. I still feel it here and there -- especially when I get run down, I just HURT. My symptoms are mostly gone, but I can "feel" that I still have it when I get all those aches and pains when I'm run down.

My ANA and dsDNA titers are also totally off the chart - and I am one criteria short of a lupus diagnosis. Rheumatologist after rheumatologist was confused by that. I will always wonder if the titers are just so high becuase of the thyroid disease, if I'm just one of the small percentage of people with high titers for no reason, or if someday they'll tell me I have lupus instead of fibro. So far everything's fine, but who knows. It could also be some kind of reactive arthritis, in reaction to severe undiagnosed hypothyroidism or mono, but it is unlikely that my symptoms would still persist 20 years later if that were the case. Will always have lupus in the back of my head...ugh.

The one major thing that cured my insomnia was a baby! Ha!

Anyway, I wish everyone well with this - I wish they're figure out what it really is and come up with a reliable medication regimen. I think the most important thing is to try not to let it get you down - although that's tough at times.
    Old 04-28-2010, 09:22 AM

Do any of you have Fibro-Fog? Some days I just can't seem
    to think straight and I am reall in a fog.Thank goodness I
    am retired now because when I worked those days were awful.
    At least now I don't have to push my self to do things on those fibro-fog days. I don't even like to drive during those times because I know my thinking and
    judgement is not as good.

Beverly