Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How many members have fibromyalgia? >
  • How many members have fibromyalgia?

• How many members have fibromyalgia?

Old 02-23-2010, 04:41 AM

I have been diag. since 1982. when it was known as fibrositis.
    I started a diary/personal thread here on living with an invisible illness..which includes so many syndromes..
    i take cymbalta 2x a day..along with a few other meds.. as everyone else..good days and bad days..
    in my signature, the "spoon theory" was written by christine, who has Lupus.
    Lupus and FMS are usually interchangeable, with mis-diagnosis.
    there are alot of us here,with FMS,CFS,Lupus and others..quilting and doing normal things..are always a struggle. But i have learned to work around it and just make do..My memory is the worst of it most times..i don't do anything with out writing it down on a dry erase board..and my calendar..
    if you need someone to talk to, we are all here..to listen to help and to offer support! Kim
    Old 02-23-2010, 06:36 AM

I went on Celebrex and I feel so great. The pain went away for the most part. I believe it's because its an anti inflammatory drug. I also read in the arthritis mag. to use 3 cups of epsom salts in a warm bath when the pain cripples up our whole body. Roz
    Old 02-23-2010, 07:42 AM

I also have it. I was diagnosed about 20 yrs ago. Some days the pain is so bad I have to use my cane. I also have Parvo B-19 which is another form of arthtitis, plus I have rheumetoid arthtitis so the pain is constant all the itme. I get injections but they don't help. Sometime my skin burns to the touch like a bad sunburn.

Donna P
    Old 02-23-2010, 07:44 AM

Location: South Carolina; half hour away from Charlotte, N.C.

I have Candida Albicans which is yeast overgrowth in my body. This yeast overgrowth has caused or attributed to the Fibromyalgia which I have had since 2006.

I have learned that the BIG 'S' word...."sugar"...feeds the Candida overgrowth. I take 400 mg's of Ibuprofin for pain and I'd rather not take that. Drugs just hinder the body from healing naturally. Drugs cover up the problem instead of correcting it or in my case ~ make my Candida worse. I'm in a catch 22 situation. It is very difficult to shop for groceries since everything is loaded with sugar or sugar substitutes which are even worse.

Somedays I feel like I just want to give up, but I don't. I keep pushing myself to go on. I've just started a very light moderate walking program that I am praying will help me. Which is another thing with Fibro.....we can't overdo or we pay dearly for it!

I have always been very active. Going from the time my feet hit the floor in the morning until I lay my head down on the pillow at night. It is very hard adjusting to a slower pace, but now it seems I have no other choice. My body is riddled with pain, which comes and goes and moves around. Burning in between my shoulders and the back of my neck. At night when I am ready for bed the covers are so hard for me to pull over me, they feel like a ton of bricks. I have bottles of anti-depressants that I was told to take, but again, I don't like drugs.

My prayer life has certainly grown and my relationship with the Lord has become closer. That is the only thing that is good about Fibromyalgia ~ nothing else!
    Old 02-23-2010, 08:09 AM

I've had Fibro for more than 20 years. Some days are good, some not so good.
    Old 02-23-2010, 08:18 AM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    Originally Posted by SherriB
    I don't have fibro but I do have lupus. I was diagnosed several years ago. I mostly have joint pain and sensitivity to the sun. My hands seem to hurt the most, especially the thumb joint closet to my hand. There are days when I wish I could just "pop" off the painful part and put it back when it finally quits hurting. I dread the day when it gets to bad to sew.
    OMG! You described exactly my symptoms! I went to a rhuematologist in Jan. and he drew tons of blood but it all came back normal, according to his nurse. I wasn't hurting that day so maybe it affected the blood results. I almost couldn't function last summer (too much sun?) but over the winter I've only hurt maybe 2 or 3 days each week. My toes hurt too...I thought I'd broken several of them.
    Right now my wrists and thumbs are so sore I can't pull the covers up at night, hold a heavy glass, etc.
    I'm almost sure I have Lupus, although he didn't seem convinced.
    After reading the posts I think I have Raynauds too. My fingers go white in the cold and hurt like crazy even when they're warming up.
    Are all these different syndromes related?
    I mean are they all auto immune? (Fibro, Lupus, Raynauds, Sjongrens, etc)
    There is no marker in the blood that will diagnose Fibro. I can mimick nearly every other known disease. So it's hard to get an accurate diagnosis sometimes. The best indicator is the 18 tender points located around the body. You won't know they are there until the dr touches them, and then it hurts! I went to at least 15 doctors before someone said fibro. And the strange thing was, one doctor in California said I had Fibrositis, and I wasn't even there to see him. I had taken my son in for allergy testing. I'm going to try the Webbers 3.6.9. capsules. Can't hurt.
    Old 02-23-2010, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by fabric-holic
    I don't have a definite diagnosis yet.
    One doctor said it's fibromyalgia.
    Another said I have Lupus and Sjongren's Syndrome.
    All I know is today I am hurting quite a bit.
    I think it's the weather.
    The weather has a strong influence on Fibro. When the barometer drops, then I usually do, too. If it's sunny, so am I. :)
    Old 02-23-2010, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Tink's Mom
    Yes, I have Fibromyalgia...NOT fun...I had a big flare up, few weeks back that hit so bad and quickly that I ended up in the hospital....Then I was given something that caused an allergic reaction....It's been a really fun month....
    Be careful with Lyrica...some of the side effects outweigh the benefits. I felt great on it for a while, but had to get off of it. Stress is a trigger...I've had this for about 10 years.
    Stress can be a HUGE trigger for me. Esp. emotional stress, family stuff. I use Ultram (tramadol) for pain and have for about 18 years.
    Old 02-23-2010, 08:28 AM

Originally Posted by Honey
    It's been about 15 years since mine was diagnosed. For me the pain was mostly in the big bones of my arms and legs. It felt like someone was ramming a red hot poker through the middle of them. About 4 years ago I went to a Dr. of alternative medicine. He is a real MD, just doesn't stay inside the box and definitely does not believe in a pill for everything. He did a lot of saliva tests and found out that my body was totally messed up. The only thing that is relevant, however, is that he started giving me vitamins that were put together just for me. I also got an IV once a week for six weeks that was a combo of mega doses of c and d along with some other vitamins and minerals. The bottom line is, I have not had an episode of fibro since. Once in a great while I will get a little achy, but that is about it. A nice warm bath or shower and a couple of Tylenol and I'm good to go with no pain. I'm not saying this would work for everyone, but it sure did for me.
    I would give my first-born for a doctor like that!! Not really, but, it would be nice...........
    Old 02-23-2010, 09:08 AM

Actually, they are all over. Just google in your area. The drawback is, insurance doesn't cover them because they aren't "traditional" Drs. Well mine was a real MD, but it didn't make a difference. It is expensive, but to go from how I was (miserable) to how I am now (happy and virtually pain free) was worth every penny!!