Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How many of us are organ donors? >
  • How many of us are organ donors?

• How many of us are organ donors?

Old 04-22-2010, 06:33 PM

I'm signed up!
    A good friend of mine made medical history (at least as far as her dr. was concerned) by being the longest surviving liver transplant recipient in his practice...17 years I think it was, over 15 anyway! She got to carry the Olympic torch in Ft. Worth several years ago because of it.
    Old 04-22-2010, 06:39 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

I have told all of my family not to put me in a box. Let the Dr's take all that is needed for others to get well and then take the rest and cremate it and put me in a stream somewhere in the mountains and set me free. Once God has my soul I really don't care what happens to me.
    Old 04-22-2010, 06:47 PM

I am, my Uncle is with the Organ donor program in Colorado. They can have everything but my eyes.
    Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 PM

Both DH and I are donors. Not sure anything will be usable, but they can have it!
    Old 04-22-2010, 06:53 PM

I have it on my drivers license. Our father was able to donate when he died, they used some of his bones and maybe skin. The donation center are awesome, they gave us green ribbon pins (like pink breast cancer ones) the pins were on a card that had dates name on it and telling to wear the pin in memory of him and he stills lives on. Our brother wanted to donate when he died but he had Lymes disease so they weren't able to use any of his organs.
    Old 04-22-2010, 07:02 PM

Hey, just a thought....isn't today "earth day", reuse, recycle......seem appropriate
    Old 04-22-2010, 07:25 PM

Yep, I've signed the back of my medicare card as an organ donor.
    I can't give blood because I'm well under the minimum weight requirement (and currently pregnant, but I'm talking normally here) and I also have blood pressure problems. They're not going to take my blood just to have to give it back to me, lol. They can take what they want once I'm dead... I don't need it anymore!
    Old 04-22-2010, 07:32 PM
    Power Poster

Location: Murray, Ky. Looking for a nice cushy pillow to rest my head on!

Originally Posted by cjomomma
    I have told all of my family not to put me in a box. Let the Dr's take all that is needed for others to get well and then take the rest and cremate it and put me in a stream somewhere in the mountains and set me free. Once God has my soul I really don't care what happens to me.
    By the way the rest of my family is too, that makes 5.
    Old 04-22-2010, 11:24 PM

To Remember Me - I will live forever
    Robert N. Test

At a certain moment a doctor will determine that my brain has ceased to function and that, for all intents and purposes, my life has stopped.

When that happens, do not attempt to instill artificial life into my body by the use of a machine. And don't call this my deathbed. Let it be called the bed of life, and let my body be taken from it to help others lead fuller lives.

Give my sight to the man who has never seen a sunrise, a baby's face or love in the eyes of a woman.

Give my heart to a person whose own heart has caused nothing but endless days of pain.

Give my blood to the teenager who was pulled from the wreckage of his car, so that he might live to see his grandchildren play.

Give my kidneys to the one who depends on a machine to exist from week to week.

Take my bones, every muscle, every fiber and nerve in my body and find a way to make a crippled child walk.

Explore every corner of my brain. Take my cells, if necessary, and let them grow so that, someday a speechless boy will shout at the crack of a bat and a deaf girl will hear the sound of rain against her window.

Burn what is left of me and scatter the ashes to the winds to help the flowers grow.

If you must bury something, let it be my faults, my weakness and all prejudice against my fellow man.

Give my sins to the devil.

Give my soul to God.

If, by chance, you wish to remember me, do it with a kind deed or word to someone who needs you. If you do all I have asked, I will live forever.

Robert N. Test
    Old 04-23-2010, 04:26 AM
    nik

I used to be an organ donor but until recently the majority of my organs are donated to science to help find a cure for multiple sclerosis.

They call it MS Brain bank - dh reckon's if its anything like my bank account there would be nothing there , lol
    :-D