Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How much do you tip a hairdresser? >
  • How much do you tip a hairdresser?

• How much do you tip a hairdresser?

Old 12-10-2014, 06:12 AM

That's a $12 haircut.
    Old 12-10-2014, 06:44 AM

I tip a flat $10. She's the owner and works 2 people at once so there's waiting involved. I DO think it makes a big difference if it's the owner or an employee. Employees are the ones who really need the tips. Owners, unless the business is struggling, usually pay themselves pretty well.
    Old 12-10-2014, 07:34 AM
    Power Poster

I was a hairdresser for 35 years. When I worked on commission, I got varied tips depending on the service. The only time I worked anyone is was when they were late. I worked the tardy customer "around" the one who was on time. If the tardies gave me any flack, I discounted the on time clients. I never counted on the tips. I was more interested in their loyalty to me and vice versa. I did some booth rental and a few tipped. Again I was interested in the loyalty. I gave discounts as gifts. All the comments about tipping are pretty on board. Again it has to do with the service and also professionality. Your hairdresser has to abide by State Board/Commission and State health laws. They are licensed and have had to go through extensive training. Tip accordingly. At the holidays of this season, I received different kinds of gifts. All were appreciated. Whether monetary or homemade or just a really good "Thank You" hug. The gift I get from them was always again and can't stress enough was loyalty. Do Not treat your hairdresser as though he'/she is a minion. They pay a lot for their license through out the years and if they go on convention, it's usually a learning convention. They often are taking extensive classes with chemical (science and chemistry) and new styling techniques and tools (blow dryers and curling irons) and products. Also many take "First Aid" classes. I've had women (3) who have had their water break. I've kept candies an glucose tabs on hand for diabetics. There is more to being a hairdresser than some realize. ANd yes some take classes to learn how to better handle different customer/client scheduling situations. Sorry for the ramble but got carried away!
    Old 12-10-2014, 07:41 AM

Many years ago when I was working as a beautician the owner was never tipped. Only the employees. Obviously this has changed. 20% across the board always works.
    Old 12-10-2014, 07:50 AM

I'm giving my stylist a queen size quilt for Christmas. She just happens to be one of my grand-daughters, so I guess I owe her something special, but I'm also doing quilts for the other grand kids.
    Old 12-10-2014, 07:51 AM

*** I hate tipping - I think everyone should be paid so not tips are necessary.

*** $5. is my limit no matter what they are doing.

*** I did give her a lap quilt last year.

*** I live on a very very small (tiny) Social Security check and cannot afford more.

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-22-2018 at 02:54 AM. Reason: remove shouting/all caps
    Old 12-10-2014, 08:16 AM

I do not tip if the stylist owns the shop or rents her space. She has expenses, license fees, training, etc., just like every other professional. They know what field they have chosen to make a living and probably can figure out how much they will make. Take a real estate person for example, they are self employed, attended school, licensed, have expenses and they don't get tips do they?
    Old 12-10-2014, 08:36 AM

I don't tip mine. She owns the salon and charges $25 for a haircut. Where I live that's a fair price for a salon cut (not a chain) and low in some cases. My primary care physician gets $65 for an office visit. I don't tip him. It takes my hairdresser 15 min. to cut my hair. She makes about $100 an hour and I don't tip. We have an understanding.
    Old 12-10-2014, 08:50 AM

I generally tip my regular hairdresser 20%, She is good and always fits me in and is ready for me when I arrive. For the Holidays I am giving her some homemade cookies. Hairdressers don't give gifts anymore, so why should I? She is not a lover of handcrafts so I don't give her those things. Can't afford to do more and this works for me......
    Old 12-10-2014, 09:29 AM

I'm with you jbj137, I also hate tipping. I think it has gotten completely out of hand. No one ever tipped me in my office job for seeing that the computer billed them correctly or sent them a bill in the first place. It was considered my job for a salary paid, and the salary wasn't always that great either. Why should I tip a postal employee who probably makes more than I ever thought about and has more benefits that I could begin to think about, or a housecleaner, whom I'm paying to do a job. As I said no one ever tipped me for a job well done. Yes office workers aren't seen, but their services are just as valuable as others. Without them things would be a mess and yes, I know there are some out there who don't give a hoot, but you find that in every profession. There are waitresses that are lousy as well as other people in life. I could not believe it the other day when I walked into the donut shop to buy some donuts for hubby, there sat a jar on the counter with, "Your tips please". Needless to say she didn't get one from me for sacking a few donuts. She is being paid to do that job!

Last edited by QuiltnNan; 04-22-2018 at 02:56 AM.