Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How much do you tip a hairdresser? >
  • How much do you tip a hairdresser?

• How much do you tip a hairdresser?

Old 12-10-2014, 10:24 AM

I over-tip my stylist because she's a fantastic stylist and an extremely nice person. She works at a small salon and the prices are very reasonable, so I still consider it a reasonable amount to pay.
    Old 12-10-2014, 11:41 AM
    Power Poster

twenty percent. highlights usually take some time and effort. Enjoy them for the Holidays!
    Old 12-10-2014, 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by tessagin
    I was a hairdresser for 35 years. When I worked on commission, I got varied tips depending on the service. The only time I worked anyone is was when they were late. I worked the tardy customer "around" the one who was on time. If the tardies gave me any flack, I discounted the on time clients. I never counted on the tips. I was more interested in their loyalty to me and vice versa. I did some booth rental and a few tipped. Again I was interested in the loyalty. I gave discounts as gifts. All the comments about tipping are pretty on board. Again it has to do with the service and also professionality. Your hairdresser has to abide by State Board/Commission and State health laws. They are licensed and have had to go through extensive training. Tip accordingly. At the holidays of this season, I received different kinds of gifts. All were appreciated. Whether monetary or homemade or just a really good "Thank You" hug. The gift I get from them was always again and can't stress enough was loyalty. Do Not treat your hairdresser as though he'/she is a minion. They pay a lot for their license through out the years and if they go on convention, it's usually a learning convention. They often are taking extensive classes with chemical (science and chemistry) and new styling techniques and tools (blow dryers and curling irons) and products. Also many take "First Aid" classes. I've had women (3) who have had their water break. I've kept candies an glucose tabs on hand for diabetics. There is more to being a hairdresser than some realize. ANd yes some take classes to learn how to better handle different customer/client scheduling situations. Sorry for the ramble but got carried away!
    Excellent explanation! Your most important point is hairdressers are professionals with professional training and personal financial investment went into that training.
    Old 12-10-2014, 12:12 PM

Gee I am amazed that you tip your hairdresser. Here in Australia that is absolutely unheard of.
    Old 12-10-2014, 02:01 PM

I overtip and not just on haircuts. I go to Great Cuts where the haircuts are only $12 and I always give them $20. Many of the gals over there are single moms so I figure they can use the money more than me.
    Old 12-11-2014, 03:56 AM

Raise the prices! That will eliminate "tips".

Raise the prices! Pay Fast food workers $15/hour! (Kidding!)

I hate "cheap" tippers, come on! At restaurants, etc. We did not come up with the system but it is there.

I really dislike "tip" jars at the food counters where I stand in line and they hand the food to me at the counter. Tip? For what? Geee

Sandy
    Old 12-11-2014, 04:51 AM

For someone like me that gets their hair cut once a month I tip my girl 4$ every time but, my hair cuts are only $11.
    Now I have been going to her for 11 years so, we have became friends. she has seen me through a lot of things. So this year I presented her with a king size quilt last week for a Christmas gift. Yes she was surprised at this. Here it is 20% no matter what you pay.
    Old 12-11-2014, 05:55 AM

Tipping. my late husband hated tipping. We farmed and his comment was 'why don't they pay them a better wage. We are in a profession where all try to get our product as cheap as they can. " Yes at times prices go up in farming but by then you have perhaps already contracted. supply and demand . Cost of machinery, seed, fertilizer go up much faster than down. Land prices are way out of the ball park plus you pay property tax.
    Old 12-11-2014, 06:00 AM

About 20% plus extra at Christmas in a separate card.
    Old 12-11-2014, 06:01 AM
    Power Poster

I gave her $3 for a $15 hair cut. I go to Fantastic Sam.