how much do you tip

Old 08-25-2011, 02:33 PM

Originally Posted by JanetM
My hairdresser charges $35 for a shampoo, cut, blow dry, which is cheap by today's standards. $50-60 is the going rate. I always tip her $15, so the total is $50.

Edit: Having read everyone's responses, I am surprised by the number of people that leave very small tips or none at all. Hairdressers and wait staff in restaurants rely on tips, as their salary is very low.

My daugher waitressed through college, and the restaurant reported 8% of all of her sales to the IRS. If someone had a $50 meal, and didn't tip her, the restaurant still reported to the IRS 8% of $50 which is $4 as if she had gotten a tip. She then would be taxed on that $4 as income, even though she didn't receive it. I tip well.
My point about tipping being out of hand is still valid. It used to be (in my lifetime and I'm not that old) that tipping 10% was considered generous and the waitresses and waiters were grateful to receive it. Now the attitude is that a tip is somehow deserved and it had better be 20-25%. I've actually had friends who have been yelled at by servers who didn't receive at least a 20% tip. There is no way on earth I will ever tip a server who did not provide quality customer service. I was at a restaurant with my sister once and the waitress was extremely rude and actually almost threw my food in my lap. She certainly did not deserve a tip nor did she get one. At a different restaurant, the outstanding waitress that served us got a very well deserved 100% tip.
Old 08-25-2011, 03:26 PM

I don't tip my hairstylist, but I might wash her dirty dishes, or wash a load of clothes, or even babysit if needed....but then my stylist is my daughter! She has no training, just natural skill and does a great job of cutting my hair.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:06 PM

anywhere from 15 to 25 percent depending on the service.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:26 PM

Just had my hair cut yesterday. Cost was $25 and gave her a $10 tip.
Old 08-25-2011, 04:33 PM

I go for $3 to $5 depending on what I having done.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by QuiltMania
Originally Posted by JanetM
My hairdresser charges $35 for a shampoo, cut, blow dry, which is cheap by today's standards. $50-60 is the going rate. I always tip her $15, so the total is $50.

Edit: Having read everyone's responses, I am surprised by the number of people that leave very small tips or none at all. Hairdressers and wait staff in restaurants rely on tips, as their salary is very low.

My daugher waitressed through college, and the restaurant reported 8% of all of her sales to the IRS. If someone had a $50 meal, and didn't tip her, the restaurant still reported to the IRS 8% of $50 which is $4 as if she had gotten a tip. She then would be taxed on that $4 as income, even though she didn't receive it. I tip well.
My point about tipping being out of hand is still valid. It used to be (in my lifetime and I'm not that old) that tipping 10% was considered generous and the waitresses and waiters were grateful to receive it. Now the attitude is that a tip is somehow deserved and it had better be 20-25%. I've actually had friends who have been yelled at by servers who didn't receive at least a 20% tip. There is no way on earth I will ever tip a server who did not provide quality customer service. I was at a restaurant with my sister once and the waitress was extremely rude and actually almost threw my food in my lap. She certainly did not deserve a tip nor did she get one. At a different restaurant, the outstanding waitress that served us got a very well deserved 100% tip.
I agree that it has gotten out of hand. 15% used to be standard, but I read an article that said you should tip 20-40%. That's absurd! The price of food has gone up, so the 15% standard goes up with inflation. A tip is not an entitlement. It is a reward for good service. When I waitressed, I knew if it was busy and I was overloaded that tips would shrink in relation to the amount of time I was able to spend on each table. The wages are low, but you have to work for it, and there is no reason to feel pressured to leave more than 15% if you didn't receive good service. I have no problem leaving more if they deserve it. But if my glass goes empty for half my meal, a stylist gives me bangs when I said not to, or my nails are so jacked up I have to fix them myself, I feel NO obligation to leave a tip.
Old 08-25-2011, 05:40 PM

As a waitress I agree that expecting a paying cutomer to tip more than 15 percent is ridiculous! I know that my employer send the IRS a total of 15 percent of my sales as income to be taxed wether I make it or not. I am grateful to get 10 to 15 percent, if I get more than that I am trully blessed! Its the days u work 8hrs for a whole 3 an hour and run urself to death for a table who had excellent service and they leave $1 on the table that u want to cry! And unfortunaetly that happens a lot in the town I live in! Now I do have regular customers who come in a lot and don't tip well but they can't cause their on a fixed imcome but they usually don't order a whole lot and r just looking for company
Old 08-25-2011, 05:48 PM

Also u should only pay if u get what ur paying for. If ur waitress is terrible then they don't deserve the tip! I will give tables to other servers if I know I'm to busy to give them the service they deserve but a lot of the other girls don't do that. Witht the economy the way it is the first thing people cut from their budgets is eating out! We try not to raise our prices to keep our customers but food cost have sky rocketed! So remeber that your server is on a fixed income too and if they r not getting tips they've earned that they r making less than $30 a day and trying to support their families too!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:27 AM

I leave 20% when I get it cut. I'm confused about the girl who washes hair. I only get mine wet down and cut. I come home and wash it, blow it dry and curl it myself. I only give the wash girl $1 and I feel bad about it but she really doesn't do much.
Old 08-26-2011, 03:39 AM

I get my hair cut really short and the woman who cuts my hair takes her time to cut it as short as I like it. I always give her a $5.00 tip.

I always tip generously, especially for really good service. If I don't tip over 20%, it means I was not happy with the service. I also always use the server's name when speaking to them and say "Thank You".