Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How old to spay/neuter kittens? >
  • How old to spay/neuter kittens?

• How old to spay/neuter kittens?

Old 07-31-2011, 04:26 AM

Originally Posted by moonwork42029
    Oh we have spent oodles on strays getting them spayed... Dang idiots that won't take care of their pets and then dump the poor babies... Argh, better not get started on this
    I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN WE LIVE UP A HOLLER AND PEOPLE DUMP ANIMALS OFF AT THE END OF IT BECAUSE YOU CANNOT SEE ANY HOUSES UP THE HOLLER.I STILL HAVE A MUTT NAMES HARLEY FOUND HIM GOING OUT MORNING IN FEB 2002LOOK LIKE HE WAS ONLY ABOUT 5 OR 6 WEEKS OLD I THOUGHT I HAD HIT HIM WITH MY CAN,BUT THANKFULLY I DID NOT.
    Old 07-31-2011, 05:07 AM

They have to be at least 2 pounds.
    Old 07-31-2011, 05:41 AM

Thanks - I'll have to try and weigh them. And I'll call around this next week. (The inside ones have been fixed long ago, and the two grown outside ones are still too wild - I suspect Scruff is a male and the deaf kitty to possibly be a female - and because of how large/fat/mature she is I wouldn't be surprised if she had been fixed by someone already - so they couldn't help with the discount - and I know we could set a trap, but we've caught far too many skunks (accidentally) to make that appealing! lol!)

Earlier might be better for the male at least - I think his testosterone is running high as he's already been in a fight.
    Old 07-31-2011, 05:48 AM

Duh! See what happens when I stay up late... I just realized you meant 3 procedures at a time -- not 3 pets :roll:
    I'd call every vet within a reasonable distance. I found a vet to do the dew claws a litter of puppies for me for $55 total -- the next cheapest wanted $33/pup (x 10 pups :shock: ) . I loved that vet! he loved animals, not the owners money, kwim
    Old 07-31-2011, 06:03 AM

Originally Posted by shnnn
    Duh! See what happens when I stay up late... I just realized you meant 3 procedures at a time -- not 3 pets :roll:
    I'd call every vet within a reasonable distance. I found a vet to do the dew claws a litter of puppies for me for $55 total -- the next cheapest wanted $33/pup (x 10 pups :shock: ) . I loved that vet! he loved animals, not the owners money, kwim
    I think he does it assembly line style! lol! The only problem with that place though is my last experience with them was a feral with a large wound who bit and scratched me... we wound up having to have her put down and checked for rabies - (she would've been ok - so that place brings back sad/guilt feelings. She was the most beautiful long hair tabby... I was trying to put her in a crate to take her for care and she totally freaked on me) - the more animals you have, the more sad experiences you have with different vets, the more difficult it can be to go there.
    But wow - what a price difference!
    Old 07-31-2011, 06:12 AM

Don't feel guilty about the last experience there. We just do the best we can with the knowledge we have at the time.
    Old 07-31-2011, 06:19 AM

I foster kittens each spring/summer. They will spay or neuter them when they weigh two pounds. That's around 8 - 10 weeks old. I feel it's a little early, but would go with what the vet recommends. Love those little critters. Just gave back 4 kittens and a mama to have their surgery and be adopted.

LindaKayCat
    Old 07-31-2011, 06:42 AM

Spaying/neutering at 8-10weeks is too early!!!there is a vet near here that takes care of Humane Soc. And SOS pets, that fixes them really young because they heal quicker. My vet and others that I talked to said the kittens urinary tracts need to mature enough or they will have kidney problems and UTIs when they are bigger. A study was done with lions and the males that were fixed too soon never developed a mane because of the lack of hormones. IMHO before 3-4months is too early. Talk to a vet you trust and go by their recommendation.
    Old 07-31-2011, 06:52 AM

Thanks sewmom. Maybe if I take a pic of them I can take that to the vet and see if they can roughly judge where we might be with age. We need to pick up more ringers for Kiki anyway so we'll be going there....
    Old 07-31-2011, 07:08 AM

Call your vet. One thing that I recently learned from my sister who got a kitten. Dogs only go in heat a couple times each year; as puppies they may not go for the first year at all. Kittens start around 6 to 8 weeks and keep on every so many weeks; it drove my sister crazy; her kitten would only want attention when she was in heat so it was easy to tell when she was in which seemed like most of the time.