Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • How is your Christmas Spirit this year? >
  • How is your Christmas Spirit this year?

• How is your Christmas Spirit this year?

Old 12-24-2011, 02:49 PM

I've been grinchy for days and days! I'm tired and not sleeping well and I've had so many failures with my baking this year. I've thrown away more cookies than I saved. Same recipes as usual just flat greasy cookies and my oven is the culpert I think. Anyway the shopping and trying to stay on a budget is really getting the best of me. DH took me shopping today and bought my Christmas present and I couldn't even get excited about that. I know he thinks I've gone round the bend but I feel really old all of a sudden. At 61 I sure didn't think I would be feeling this way. Two more Christmas things to attend and then I can collapse!
    Old 12-24-2011, 03:03 PM

I am a scrooge this year, Have had a bad month and then lost my best friend to a heart attack at age 46 on Monday, This year I could just skip it all. I was always gung ho for Christmas but yes economy, loss of job, and other things have just put me is a lost mood.. Grandkids will be here Tuesday so maybe I will perk up a bit!
    Old 12-24-2011, 03:41 PM

OH, my. Yes. I am in a foul mood. Thie last week tears have flowed for no specific reason. Why am I not elated with basal cell carcinoma being successfully removed from my nose? Or a successful lumpectomy and benign lymph nodes? Just have to decide on oncologist and type of radiation. Cut out a lot of non-acknowledged Christmas gifting. DH has been ill with many operations since we married in 1998 [double knee replacement, 6-way by-pass, multiple heart attacks, thryoid operation, etc.] and all of a sudden there is another case of Afib when I could have used some TLC this month. I have never admitted to a Bah Hum Bug type of Christmas, but am really close to it this year. BUT things will get better, and life will go on.
    Old 12-24-2011, 04:21 PM

Having a hard time getting in the Christmas Spirit this year. Usually love the holidays. I know the problem this year is the loss of my little Molly. She was a beautiful tan/rust, long haired chihuahua. She became very sick and was in a lot of pain and had to be put to sleep on Nov. 22nd. She was 9 yrs old. Miss her very much.

It does't help that we are having a green Christmas. I usually catch the spirit with the first large fluffy snowfall. It has not happened yet. Lots of snow south of here but nothing along the lakeshore. It would be nice to wake up to a white Christmas Day. Our family party will help. Should be at least 50 of us. We now have to rent a hall because no one has a large enough house.

HOPE EVERYONE ON THE BOARD HAS A MERRY CHRISTMAS AND HAPPY NEW YEAR.
    Old 12-24-2011, 04:50 PM

Surprising I am doing good this year. I too have actually lost both parents, my Mom was born Christmas day, so I have my moments. I miss her soooooooooooo much. Im just thankful for my awesome husband and my fantastic son who has grown into one of the most awesome people I know. And...to boot..my son is giving us a DIL this next year, making our family even better. God bless you and your family, stay busy, with love and sincerity, MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!

Originally Posted by gramajo
    No, you're not the only 'grinch' out here. In my case, I think it's a combination of things--every year I'm affected by SAD (this year seems worse than usual), I miss my mom (she died in Dec., her birthday was in Dec., my birthday is Dec. & I hate the thought of another year being alone) and the economy. I'm better than I was a couple of weeks ago, so I guess I'm coming out of it.

On the upside, my kids and their families, my sister-in-law and her family will be here for dinner tonight. And I'm better organized than I usually am.

I hope you have a good Christmas in spite of your feelings and a happy, healthy new year.
    Old 12-24-2011, 05:59 PM

You are not alone. The Grinch stole my Christmas spirit too. A lot of drama with some of my kids recently. Plus I work in a homeless family shelter and see so much every day. Some disgusting enough to make me wonder why I do this work and some heart wrenching enough to remind me why I do. And every year I am affected by SAD. I elected to go off my anti-depressant during the past few months (agreed with by my doc). So getting through the holidays and winter months will be a test of my will. God bless everyone on this board, and I wish you all a happy Christmas.
    Old 12-24-2011, 06:11 PM

I haven't had the Christmas spirit for a few years now. Hubby and I are in good health, all our animals (horses, cats, ducks and geese) are doing fine and we have everything we need. Not everything we would LIKE but don't want for anything. BUT my sons and their families are in Florida for quite a few years so no one comes to our house. I haven't even put up a tree for a few years because it is too much trouble to decorate and then take it all down when no one sees it anyway. I do send a small box but with the economy and mailing prices it isn't a lot. However we do remember the reason for the season and that is enough for us. I think a lot of us lose the spirit because of the hype from Holloween until Christmas day and are all spirited out. That said a very Merry Christmas and a very Happy New Year to everyone no matter how you celebrate (or don't.)
    Old 12-24-2011, 06:22 PM

Agreed my Christmas spirit is not very good this year; trying to find that silver linning in every cloud. Kids are all grown and on their own too far to come back for the holidays. So no decor of any kind. No close family here, just dh & myself. Retired monies do not allow much joy or stretch far enough. Still struggling to look forward to next year, in hopes it will be better. .. counting our blessings and trying to be content with what we are blessed with this year.

Nine cats give me joy and are ready to eat twice a day. Happy Holidays to all of QB.
    Old 12-24-2011, 06:28 PM

It will not be a happy year for us. My niece lost her baby and the funeral was this last Tuesday. It was her first and it did live for four hours. It was a medical reason that all this happen. So we will be there for her and will try to be as happy as can be.
    I do wish every one a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year.
    Old 12-24-2011, 08:39 PM

we have no spirit here at our house this year no tree up no presents we just are not feeling it at all will be glad when its all over