Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • how is your garden growing???? >
  • how is your garden growing????

• how is your garden growing????

Old 06-20-2011, 07:44 AM

I know I would starve because I am an all time black thumb, can't grow a thing. My mom is growing some tomatoes, but it seems it is so hot they require constant watering.
    Old 06-20-2011, 07:48 AM

Location: My favorite place in the world is Lake Erie Region USA

wow, a wide range of successes/failures.. here..

wet, our tree should be a friend of Moss Man soon.. Tall, and GREEN bark that is soft!!

My back house gutter is now holding water, does it matter in the summer? no.. but we get rain everyday nearly.. and at time it's like the fire department opened the hydrants !

Weeds are hard to control in the mud. I love to hoe.. love the sound.. until the squishing sound, thud of mud and hoe meeting..

wow.. still our crops are not planted in few fields that are ponded and lakes have appeared.

Northern Ohio, near lake Erie.. wondering if it is natures way of land and lake meeting again !

Ell
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:02 AM

I can see it growing in the distance...

I may need to remove some of the grass clippings so the soil dries up and the plants don't rot from all the rain.
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:16 AM

our garden went in late this year. the reason, we put in a larger area and the contractor was late in finishing (big surprise, huh?). We use raised beds, like you do Jacqui. So far, so good. The sad part this week is some of our plants are not in the fenced-in area. My strawberries, which had a cover, due to the rain and high winds this week,saw the cover blown off. So my huge crop of berries went to the deer and their friends. ARGH. I am getting so ready to learn to hunt deer and enjoy venison! but otherwise, so far so good on teh gardening front. We also added lots of flowers and trees (9 white birch, one semi-dwarf cherry) this weekend.
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:34 AM

mine is ok but we need rain soon or it will all burn up my beens had a realy lousy germination, potatoes are doing good tomatoes and pappersz are ok but starting to look stressed.beets are realy tiny and onions are yto smal they dont seem to like sandy soil. cucumbers are looking realy stressed. ive trained my 2 year old to watter them from her swimming pool.
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:41 AM

We have been to busy putting up fence around our property to even think about a garden.

I did make use of my new greenhouse though. I got some plants from Lowes and set them in there....lol

I still need to fis the front flowerbed I worked on last year. The rabbits (previous owners of our house left behind and they multiplied) ate a bunch of my plants including some evergreen's. Which I later found out they will eat anything when hungry enough including pine shrubs.
    Old 06-20-2011, 08:46 AM

Seems that the only thing you can do is mulch, mulch and do it some more. Then do as most of us do, curse the weather.
    Old 06-20-2011, 10:52 AM

My tomatoes do not like the cool nites.Spinach/lettuce doing very well.Cool weather crops doing fine.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-214325.jpe   attachment-214326.jpe  
    Old 06-20-2011, 11:05 AM

heres a pic of our tomatos
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-214329.jpe  
    Old 06-20-2011, 01:51 PM

My garden was doing really good (because I haul water to it every day) but a few nights ago, a deer came and ate all the tops of the tomato plants.... Grrrr! The hubby put fencing around the plants which seems to be working. But, then... Sat. night 10 p.m., the transformer on the electric pole by my garden exploded and spewed oil all over my rubarb, radishes, zuchinni and yellow squash plants.... no power for 2 days, then plants ALL had to be replaced.
    I put new ones in today but the plants aren't as big as I had. Radishes were just ready to pick too, reseeded them but have to wait 2 weeks before they are ripe. Could only get 4 rubarb plants to replace the 10 I had, but when the electric company came and dug everything up I don't think they dug deep enough to get all the root, so they might come back.
    Luckily as it turns out, the electric company did a soil test and the oil was not harmful, just old mineral oil which would have given a bad taste to the food.
    Ah well, gardening is such an adventure... just not sure how many more years I will mess with it myself.