Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me >
  • Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me

• Huge Mosquitos in Michigan, new to me

Old 08-12-2011, 09:14 AM
    Banned

In Florida we have mosquitos even in winter. I live in a city that is mostly winter residents and 50-60% are Michigan. Are you sure they didn't take them home with them back in May? Mosquitos probably tired of the heat also. Just joking. Hopefully they won't live long
    Old 08-12-2011, 09:46 AM

The cicada killer wasps do prefer sandy soil because they need to dig their tunnels. They really are quite facinating to watch. My DH2B used to live five blocks away from me (approximately 1/2 mile), and he had a few that would hang around the edge of his lawn. His neighbor, however, had them all over his front lawn! They seem to hover around their tunnels. They will fly only about a foot or two above the ground's surface. They won't bite you unless you REALLY make them angry. If you get near their tunnel, they will fly around you, but won't land on you. They just want to make sure you don't mess with their tunnel! I used to cover over the holes just so I could watch them dig the dirt back out! :-D

Kathy, you just keep your "birds" in your OWN backyard missy!!!! I don't want them!!!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown:
    Old 08-12-2011, 03:23 PM

There are in Texas as well , We have just started to have them this year.
    Old 08-12-2011, 04:21 PM

Shoot! In GA the state birdis the mosquito. LOL
    Old 08-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Yikes! Those nasty looking skeeters can stay out of my little corner of Michigan! I hope they leave you alone soon.

Originally Posted by burnsk
    It is noon here. Safe to go outside, right? Darn! Those things are as big as a B-52! I tried using a bug spray that would drop a horsefly dead in its tracks. I'm thinking the only thing that's going to work with these things is weapons grade Plutonium! We'd all die an early death, but at least we wouldn't be eaten alive. I have some bites that are as big as tumors! And it's the middle of the day. If you swat at them it only makes them more determined to get at you. I bet if I hit one with my car it would leave a dent.

I just wanted to check out my garden. Guess I'll go buy a haz-mat suit.

It is neither a Crane fly or a Mosquito Hawk. Those are more silent and their legs are not as striped.
    Yikes!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]240753[/ATTACH]

Down with mosquitos!
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]240754[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-240747.jpe   attachment-240748.jpe  
    Old 08-12-2011, 05:27 PM

I was thinking about Michigan for a vacation; always wanted to see the UP and Mackinac Island-----but not any more. Our mosquitoes in Georgia are big enough and aggressive enough, thank you very much!
    Old 08-12-2011, 07:55 PM

These nasty little buggers made the news tonight. They said the first frost will kill them. Deep woods OFF is not working. Any suggestions anyone?
    Old 08-12-2011, 08:22 PM

cannon??? rocket grenade??? :? :?
    Old 08-13-2011, 05:23 AM

The black flies are what cause the moose to run to the water sometimes!! Pretty bad if the moose run....
    Originally Posted by burnsk
    Up in Northern Michigan they have little, tiny black flies and they have a terrible bite, too. They are so small they can go right through a screen.

Haven't seen any cicada's here but that doesn't mean they aren't around. I only go from my house to the van. Can't sit outside with these nasty mosquitos. Went out back for 5 minutes last night and came in with 5 bites. I always get big welts. I figured since it was around 70 outside with a nice breeze it would be OK. Wrong. Didn't stop those big buggers.
    :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
    Old 08-13-2011, 05:27 AM

WOW how cool is that! Would love to see some out at the Chelsea Discovery Center. We could teach alot of kids and other people about them :)
    Originally Posted by pab58
    The cicada killer wasps do prefer sandy soil because they need to dig their tunnels. They really are quite facinating to watch. My DH2B used to live five blocks away from me (approximately 1/2 mile), and he had a few that would hang around the edge of his lawn. His neighbor, however, had them all over his front lawn! They seem to hover around their tunnels. They will fly only about a foot or two above the ground's surface. They won't bite you unless you REALLY make them angry. If you get near their tunnel, they will fly around you, but won't land on you. They just want to make sure you don't mess with their tunnel! I used to cover over the holes just so I could watch them dig the dirt back out! :-D

Kathy, you just keep your "birds" in your OWN backyard missy!!!! I don't want them!!!!! :thumbdown: :thumbdown: