HUGE Trout!

Old 03-15-2010, 03:34 PM

My kind neighbor just gifted us with four HUGE trout and I know this is not the recipe section but if you have any clue how to cook a good rainbow trout please PM me or send me to the site with the know it all. I rarely cook fish. I love it just hate cooking it.. and now I am the proud owner of four large trout (ok huge? maybe not but 16 inches or longer head to tail?).. I don't fish but it was a lovely gift. Fresh caught today. I can see a pattern here .. fish.. fish and fish.. they are all around us! (ps I l know the food sites but wanted a real tried true recipe!)
Old 03-15-2010, 03:44 PM
Power Poster

Lucky you! Nothing beats fresh fish. We eat fried fish here. Coat dry fish with self rising corn meal, put in a skillet of hot sunflower oil (it's very light tasting) and fry at med heat until the fish meat is opaque and flaky.
Old 03-15-2010, 03:51 PM

I'm assuming your neighbor already gutted them. We cut the heads and tails off, thouroughly rinse the inside and outside of the fish, lay the fish on foil; sprinkle a little butter, salt, and pepper, bake over open coals for about 3-4 minutes on each side. Just delicious.

On the other hand, if you don't happen to have the open coals, gently saute for about 3-4 minutes on each side in olive oil on a med high heat. The fish should be cooked until it starts to fall apart when you apply a fork to the meat.

Some folks dip the fish in egg and then cornmeal, but we do not care for this method. We always found that with the trout the more simple the preparation the better the taste.

If your neighbor did not gut the fish, let me know and I can walk you through that.
Old 03-15-2010, 06:26 PM

I like to dress them out and put them in a shallow pan with salt and milk and soak in the fridge, get my iron skillet med heat with peanut oil.....then shake a bit of House of Autry's Fish Breading in a pie pan and just lightly dust by dragging it through and put the fish in the pan, cover for five minutes and turn......another three or so minutes and your fish is done! Crispy, Golden and Yummie Fish!
Old 03-16-2010, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

Sounds good whichever method you use. Trout full of bones is be careful eating.
Old 03-16-2010, 12:42 PM
Power Poster

Trout fried in bacon fat is pretty good, not healthy, but once in a while can't hurt, right :wink: