Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • Hurricane Earl...are you in harms way? >
  • Hurricane Earl...are you in harms way?

• Hurricane Earl...are you in harms way?

Old 09-02-2010, 01:43 PM

MimiSharon....What's going on with you??? Are you okay? My son just told me that they evacuated Camp Lejeune and told everyone to go home. So he's on his way, a day early. Please let me know if you need anything or somewhere to stay, I mean it!!!
    Old 09-02-2010, 02:40 PM

Thanks, Mish, I'm ok so far. I was on Camp LeJeune this morning for an event at the Officers Club. They canceled the afternoon and evening part of it and closed the base to all but essential personnel. Thank God!

The winds are beginning to pick up here and little bands of rain. The worst is yet to come. Power company has been by twice to check our lines. I'll likely lose power for awhile but hopefully I'll be able to let someone know I'm ok.

Susie called me just as I got home this afternoon. I have the truck parked out in the middle of the big field. Hopefully no trees will get me.

Thanks for the prayers, y'all. I'm worried about Terri, she's got about 3 hours to make any moves inland. I haven't been able to reach her.
    Old 09-02-2010, 06:10 PM
    Dee

Everyone stay safe.
    Old 09-02-2010, 06:30 PM

My son works for a company that cleans up storm-damaged properties once they put in claims through their insurance firms. His bags are packed and he is waiting to be called. They told him that they don't know if they will be sending him to the Outer Banks or to Cape Cod depending on the path that the hurricane takes. My brother has a vacation home in Kill Devil Hills but has his permanent residence in NY. My son is grateful for the work but of course feels the pain for anyone who has to deal with the devastation that these storms can bring. As a Mom, I am hoping that he doesn't get called at all so that he is not in any danger himself and so that no one has to face such troubles. I'll definitely be praying that it all blows off into the ocean.
    Old 09-02-2010, 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by SharonAnne
    Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    We're near the coast in NJ, hope we don't get full force as granddaughter is getting married on Satuday. May in Jersey
    Fingers and toes crossed that the weather cooperates for your daughter's blessed day. Hope everyone stays safe, dry, and happy. My daughter lives in Hopatcong - do you know that area? Nice to "meet" you.
    Latest we've heard it that we'll get rain but nothing to worry about, hope it's true. DIL was here this afternoon, she's the mother of granddaughter that's getting married, and she's not too concerned about Saturday's wedding having problems because of the storm. We have lots of out of state family coming in and keeping fingers crossed they get here OK.

Not near Hopatcog, but Nice to meet you too, May in Jersey
    Old 09-02-2010, 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by damaquilts
    Originally Posted by May in Jersey
    We're near the coast in NJ, hope we don't get full force as granddaughter is getting married on Satuday. May in Jersey
    Hope things go well. I went through one hurricane years and years ago at the shore Not fun pretty scary and it didn't even really hit land. But oh the rain and flooding. I was living not far from the water at the time. Waretown NJ.
    We live in Monmouth County nearer to the bay than the ocean so full force of hurricanes don't usually hit us but never say never. Been living here 50 years and haven't had a really bad hurricane hit us, although we've had some really bad snow storms. May in Jersey
    Old 09-03-2010, 01:46 AM

MimiSharon....Looks like everything was okay according to the news. Since I have the "IN" knowing you....is that true? LOL I hope so.
    Old 09-03-2010, 03:52 AM

I live on the coast of Maine ( Bar Harbor) We are ready for Earl, put all patio stuff in the shed, extra water, batteries, candles and can food in case of power outages. And if they do call for us to get out we are ready to that also.
    Old 09-03-2010, 04:16 AM

I'm in New Bern, NC and so glad Earl is on his way away from us. I go pray for those farther up the coast that are still in his path.
    Old 09-03-2010, 05:05 AM

I'm fine, lots of rain and the wind knocked down a few limbs but God watched over me. Thanks for asking. Son is going to be busy this afternoon but we had no damage to the house or shed and the vehicles are all good. Cleaning debris is easy when nothing is damaged on the house.

Earl seems to be sitting pretty still around Terri right now, we're still getting some tail winds but the sun is out. Thanking my maker.

Hugs,
    Sharon