Hurricane Irene

Old 08-24-2011, 10:28 AM

My sister and her DH just moved from Florida to Manhattan NY and is arriving there today.... Just enough time to get
everything moved in their apartment before Irene hits!
Kinda funny leaving FL "the hurricane" state only to get hit by one in NY! She is hoping this is not an omen of what the next three years there will be!
Old 08-24-2011, 12:18 PM

The path according to the weather man here says in Central VA we may have a sunny weekend - the hurricane would only hit just east of Richmond VA. It's changing course somewhat. Still expected to be a cat 3 maybe cat 4 storm.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:13 PM

My parents live in St Thomas for most of the year and they were without power for 3 days... having said that I think just about any time they have big winds the power is out for several days...

I do hope everyone does batten down those windows though. :)
Old 08-24-2011, 01:22 PM

I cleaned house for a little sweet lady nemed Irene. She would tell me stories...One was when she was in elementary school, she would have to ride the trolley from her neighborhood to school. The conductor was not a nice man and when the kids got off the trolley, they would stick their gum in the bells to keep them buzzing. The old conductor would have to pull all the gum out of the bells to get them to go off. I see the name "Irene" I think of a little girl mis-behaving on the trolley.

I pray that hurricane "Irene" miss everyone.
Old 08-24-2011, 01:42 PM

Our local news is really covering it up here. We are supposed to have our first teacher workshop day on Monday - DH thinks it will be cancelled. The wind and rain is supposed to be just terrible. We will see!
Old 08-24-2011, 01:53 PM

I know that this storm is no laughing matter - but I can't help but think that Sunday will be a great sewing day - assuming that we don't lose power!

Wonder if Joanns has a generator that will keep my sewing machine, iron and lights working? I've got a coupon!
Old 08-24-2011, 02:26 PM

Goodness, apparantly it's going to be the biggest one to hit the North-East since 1938. I'm heading out tonight to stock up on some stuff we'll need to hunker down without electricity for the weekend- including disposable dishes and a ton of new library books for the kids! :) Also thinking we'll all sleep on the first floor during the hurricane... trees near my house make me nervous.
Old 08-24-2011, 05:33 PM

We are waiting for it, maybe Saturday afternoon. I'm hoping it will pass everyone
Old 08-25-2011, 03:10 PM

We're used to hurricanes. We grew up living at the Jersey shore and we survived some beauties like Hurricane Donna. But Irene sounds like it will really be dangerous.

So we have made preparations: batteries, food, water, plastic, taking in lawn furniture and flags, trashcans in the garage.
Good hurricane plan here:
http://www.inthpa.com/Whattodo.asp

And of course I have battery operated Ottlite so I can hand sew if the power fails.

Good luck to all of you in the storm.