Hurricane watch

Old 08-26-2011, 09:47 AM

Fill bathtub with water, as well as any large, clean containers you can get your hands on. Grocery stores carry large water containers and sell clean water that goes in them, if any are left better grab them.

Quilts to cover fridge and floor freezer, should you have any such thing (we used to have a floor freezer and loved it).

Much, MUCH more water than you'll ever think you will use, no telling how long you'll be without it.

Kids' favorite quilts, toys, any special meds they might need if you are forced to leave your home?

Do you know where your dog leashes are? And a cat carrier? Their toys?

Any meds that have to be kept cool? Try foam coolers and keep them half full of ice.

Batteries for a battery powered radio (Yup, they still make them.)

Cell phones charged EVERY NIGHT and EVERY TIME YOU ARE NOT USING THEM. Never know when they will save a life.

Fresh and dried fruits and foods you can eat without cooking.

Do remember that millions of people in the world have lived without electricity, cell phones, instant contact by computer, etc, and have lived to brag about it.

That said, I don't think I'd like to live the same way I did like that as a child, but do enjoy knowing that I COULD, if forced to. I do remember how, not that I want to.
Old 08-26-2011, 10:24 AM

Be sure to attach your documents and important papers in a plastic Ziploc bag to keep them near you in a backpack that can be easily carried out if needed.
Along with food for humans and pets, water, medicines, first aid items, battery-powered radio, flashlights, candles and match box, a set of change clothes for each household member, shoes and socks, sleeping bag and tent , pet leash.
Be in my prayers.
I hope and pray that nothing happens!
A big hug for you and yours!
Old 08-26-2011, 10:43 AM
BMP

Originally Posted by aliaslaceygreen
Originally Posted by Scrap Happy
Coffee in the morning.
Yup. And to that end, I have been pouring the last of the coffee into empty soda bottles, adding creamer and sugar, and sticking them in the freezer!!!!!
Timmy will not mind the morning with no power because he doesn't do coffee....but, me?? Coffee.
OH MY I never thought about that ...No one would be able to live with me w/o my coffee...we are expecting heavy rain and possible power outages even here...I think I may do your idea just in case.
Old 08-26-2011, 05:06 PM

Originally Posted by GV09
Be sure to attach your documents and important papers in a plastic Ziploc bag to keep them near you in a backpack that can be easily carried out if needed.
Along with food for humans and pets, water, medicines, first aid items, battery-powered radio, flashlights, candles and match box, a set of change clothes for each household member, shoes and socks, sleeping bag and tent , pet leash.
Be in my prayers.
I hope and pray that nothing happens!
A big hug for you and yours!
I knew something was missing!
Place in Ziploc bag cash too!
Remember, no light, no banks or cash or credit / debit cards. Cash Only!
A hug!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:24 PM

Originally Posted by emerald46
AC for sure and just walking into room and flipping light switch. That is just what we do dozens of times a day. We have gasoline generators to run all appliances but usually after a couple of days we are off to hotel or out of town.. DH is not the camping type and likes modern conveniences...lol it is his only shortcoming.
Shortcoming? I'd say that is an added bonus feature in a DH!!
Old 08-26-2011, 06:28 PM

No electricity, NO WATER! Plus everything else.