Husband thinks this odd

Old 05-31-2011, 08:35 AM

don't like guns don't want to be around them and I really wouldn't go see them but men might.
Old 05-31-2011, 08:52 AM

It would give husbnds something to look at while their wives are looking at quilts-a win-win, I'd say. And-if the husband bought something in the gun area what could he say if the wife. . . .
Old 05-31-2011, 09:13 AM

The Bennington Vermont Quilt show runs the same days as their Antique Car Show. They both do very well.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by dunster
< hee hee > I think I agree with your husband.

OTOH, it would get more men to come to the quilt show...
It would be a way to get my daughter to a quilt show!!!!!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:20 AM

I think it's great. It also puts them in a place, especially if done in time periods.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:23 AM

Bend, Oregon DOES have a quilt shop and gun shop in the same building!! :)

I think it's a wonderful idea...
Old 05-31-2011, 09:26 AM

That does bring back memories. As a child, guns were a part of our lives, back in the depression you got food anywhere you could. Raise it, shoot it, trade furs for it, and sleep warm with home made quilts because you couldn't afford to keep the house fires going 24/7. And it got darn cold in winter time in WV.

When I married DH, we both agreed that our kids would learn each sex's jobs, and they would be at ease around guns and be able to use them in an emergency. 3 out of the 6 went into law enforcement.

I think the combination of guns and quilts would go over well. But do agree that the "gun" part should be advertised as "vintage" or "old fashioned living". Maybe with tiny rooms set up looking as they did 200 years ago. Like others said, put up old photographs showing more or less the same rooms. Plus, it would be nice if there were names put on the photographs, it might delight people to find some unknown ancestors and learn how they lived.
Old 05-31-2011, 09:29 AM

"Cold hard steel and Fabric" my DH and I would be in heaven! Our 2 favorite things to collect!!! Only problem would be if we would have enough time to see all of both. :thumbup: We both love BOTH!
Old 05-31-2011, 09:34 AM
Power Poster

Interesting idea to have the two combined in a show. I really don't care if more men come to a quilt show or not though.
Old 05-31-2011, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by writerwomen
Okay every one- my husband thinks this is an odd idea but the more I think about it the more sense it makes to me. Over the course of history Sewing and weapons seems to run side by side- hand in hand. Even factories that produced sewing machines were tooled to make weapons and factories tooled for making weapons were retooled to make sewing machines. Pioneer women sat at the hearth of a dimly lit fireplace stitching together fabric scraps to make a much needed quilt for the coming winter. Right above that hearth or next to it sat a riffle used to sustain the family and ward off danger. In times of need quilts and weapons were used in trade for needed supplies even today there seems to be a continuous parallel.
All that said- I've been thinking about an exhibit/show that featured both- drawing in both enthusiasts. I'm not the one to organize it but think it makes a great deal of sense for one- What are your thoughts?

Hubby & I have done several craft/antique fairs using a set-up of his Civil War stuff and my sewed craft items.

His Civil War stuff consists of musket rifles, pistols, swords, knives and dug relic items dating to the Civil War. Occassionally he has had a couple of WWII rifles and pistols displayed and for sale.

We hang on the wall behind us a quilt top of the 'Underground Railroad' to draw attention to our booth and tables.

This past weekend we attended a citywide yard sale and hubby traded an antique pistol for a white FW 221K, WWII rifle, a US Calvary sword and two Bowie knives. I posted about the FW trade on another thread.

We had business cards made up advertising our shared hobbies.
'Daniel & Deara's Civil War & Sewing Shop' (Somethings Old And Somethings Sewed)

Singer made handguns during WWII. Hubby said they are as rare as hens teeth.

Our hobbies go hand and hand. When we go to antique fairs we look for each other. I am most blessed with a hubby who loves to trade. I have acquired quite a few of my sewing machines through his trading of swords & other weapons.

Here is a pic from our first show we did.

We think you have a great idea. Hubby wanted to know where you guys are located. Maybe there is a club in the making here for all those who want to share their hobbies with their spouses.

Blessings to all,
Sandi
Attached Thumbnails attachment-204770.jpe