hysterical mother in law

Old 07-24-2011, 04:01 PM

My heart goes out to you. It's a bat , it's not going to kill you. My friend in Minnesota got a call from her hysterical daughter in New York City. I have a big roach in my apartment. Hang on I'll fly out and kill it for you. Dah
Old 07-24-2011, 05:18 PM

8I would thinkanimalcontrol would help her out
Old 07-24-2011, 05:19 PM

8I would thinkanimalcontrol would help her out
Old 07-24-2011, 05:39 PM

Strange -we were building a new house and tearing down the old. I had a bat wake me up zipping around the bedroom. DH was 'over the road' trucker and not home. I went to the car to sleep but the barn cats found I was in there and kept walking up and down the roof and hood. Didn't sleep much! Next morning I went back into the old house, saw the bat sleeping on a door frame and shot it! Figured the house was coming down anyway, so what's the difference. Then called neighbor lady and we moved the bed to the new house even tho it wasn't completed and stayed there ever since -just worked around the bed.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:59 PM

Originally Posted by sweetana3
Mom got in touch with an exterminator and he will be out Monday.

We suggested she get in touch with a local catholic church but are pretty sure she will not do it. This is the first time in her whole 79 year life she is alone. She married at 17 and never spent any time apart during her whole 60+ year marriage.

She will need to work thru some of these issues and has never ever really listened to her son. (who is a very nice person and always!! willing to help) I cannot understand why she does not listen to a son who is the first one in the whole family to graduate high school and then college and work as a corporate executive for his whole career. She does not realize or care that her "I dont want to burden you with my problems" is more of a burden to him than just helping her.
My DH's parents would listen to a total stranger before they would talk to my DH or his sister. That changed a little after his Mom died though. She was just very distrustful of her family members.
Old 07-24-2011, 06:32 PM

We've had a similar situation with DH's mom, who lives right next door. One time a snake got in her attic and we actually saw it slither right across the light panel in the suspended ceiling of her bedroom! She was freaking out but didn't want to pay for an exterminator to come out on the weekend, but instead she wanted her snake-hating son to catch it! He refused, so we paid for the exterminator...it was just easier. :roll:
Old 07-24-2011, 09:11 PM

if she were my MIL and my hubs was an only child 600 miles away would not be far enough away! I know it sounds harsh, but if she that unstrung to call someone 600 miles away and not call anyone in the town where she lives for any kind of help, well, when she lives in your town you will never see your hubs again - she will have him on the run.
forget having her move in because you will have to move out to keep your sanity. sharet
Old 07-24-2011, 09:20 PM

Never had that problem, but I wouldn't sleep in the house with it either!
Old 07-24-2011, 09:29 PM

Phobias and panic don't respond to reason. Perfectly sane and reasonable people can have them. Some freak out over spiders, or a mouse, gallinappers or nightcrawlers or even perfectly harmless bats who only want OUT! Open a window, leave the room and the bat will likely go, too. Sometimes baby bats get in and haven't the strength or experience to leave. If you find one hanging around, sleeping in the daytime just gently toss a thick towel over it and carry outside. Yes, they can bite but they do NOT attack people or get in your hair.

A person with an excessive fear of bats (or whatever) may be strong and self-reliant in other circumstances but need reassured when faced with the phobia.

One summer as a camp counsellor I slept in a tiny cabin with no windows, just shutters. I left the shutters open and the little brown bats flew in and out all night long. And here I am with white hair from advanced age but no damage from bats. :wink:
Old 07-25-2011, 06:09 AM

I feel for you! I have one of those MILs too!!!