• General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I Bought My Wife a New Washing Machine >
  • I Bought My Wife a New Washing Machine

• I Bought My Wife a New Washing Machine

Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Originally Posted by scowlkat
    Cute! So is your doghouse comfy? LOL!
    I have a nice comfy Studio out in the back yard with internet, satellite TV, running water and all of my sewing machines!!

Billy
    pictures please...
    Old 01-31-2011, 03:10 PM

Dh and I both remember our folks semi-automatic washing machines with the "suds-saver" option. We had to go down cellar to move the lever to get it to go to the next cycle-and it could be converted to a dishwasher with a different tub (which we didn't have).

The suds saver as I recollect shunted the dirty water in to a tub...and then sucked it back into the machine for a 2nd use...we didn't do that, either!

I'm either a little too young or citified to remember use of the scrubbing board, but yours is cute as a bug's ear!
    Old 01-31-2011, 07:37 PM

We have a big old black iron wash pot that goes with one of those wasboards. It belong to my husbands grand mother, and my husband is 85, so yu know how old that wash pot is.
    Old 01-31-2011, 07:43 PM

I have two of those hanging up in my laundry room, but I still use my electric, modern washing machine. :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 01-31-2011, 07:53 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: Billy! Shame on you!!! You're lucky she didn't bop you over the head with it!!! Although, you might want to keep one eye open when you go to bed!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
    Old 01-31-2011, 08:08 PM

I did my DD's diapers on my Mother's scrub board....just a few years ago..( DD is now 53 ) Oh what a job it does on your knuckles !
    Old 02-01-2011, 09:30 AM

I have my grandmother's black washpot, too. I'm old enough to remember when they used it when I was a child (I'm 67 now). They built a fire under the wash pot and washed the heavily soiled things in the pot once the water and soap started boiling. My grandfather was a farmer--lots of heavily soiled things. My grandfather always helped with the wash, too. They'd put the clothes in the big pot and stir them around with a long wooden paddle. Then they'd lift each piece with the paddle and let the water drain back into the pot a little before putting it into a galvanized tub of cold water to cool and any spots left rubbed on the rubboard. Then they used two more tubs of water to rinse each piece. Then they were hand rung and hung on the line to dry.

Grandmother's dresses, grandfather's good clothes, and the table and bed linens were washed in a separate tub with a rubboard to remove any spots, rinsed twice, hand wrung and hung to dry.

Nothing went to waste. PawPaw used oak for the fire. Everso often he'd put the oak ashes and some lye in the wash pot with a little water, cook it into a thick stage, and ladle it into tin molds to make lye soap. This soap, after it dried into bars, was used for heavy spot removal in the laundry process.

The water for all this was drawn from a well with a long bucket on a rope. It took lots of water on laundry day.

I'm glad you brought these memories to mind. I hate to do laundry--but maybe I won't hate it so bad after thinking about how my grandparents used to have to do it.
    Old 02-01-2011, 10:20 AM

I'm sitting here remembering how one washtub of water usually had to last for the whole wash. And you had to wash in 'order'. Then you had to hang them in 'order' on the line, with the unmentionables on the inside lines and the sheets and towels on the outside lines (hiding the unmentionables in the middle so the neighbors couldn't see them).
    Old 02-01-2011, 10:30 AM

Now you're going to have to go buy her a new dryer and all the accessories to go with it, too.

The dryer
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]117535[/ATTACH]

and the accessories
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]117536[/ATTACH]
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-117530.png   attachment-117531.png  
    Old 02-01-2011, 11:25 AM

Originally Posted by Lostn51
    Originally Posted by sueisallaboutquilts
    Billy, I also have a lot of vintage stuff and love it. I have a washboard in my laundry room.
    You paid 5000.00 for a front load??????? Yikes!!!
    It was the matching set Washer and Dryer/Kenmore Elite with the 5 way motion or what I like to call the "Fingers of death". :lol:

I hope I can get 26 years out of this set like I did the last set I bought from them.

Billy
    I hate to tell you, but we bought one of the new washers this past May and the salesman told me the lifespan was 6-9 years!
    We were replacing a 22+ yr old one. It doesn't have the old agitator and so all the new technology(electronics) makes it wear out faster I guess. Maybe your dryer will last longer?
    Good luck.
    BTW - I love your 'gift'. :lol: