Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I did not realize that I was following a dress code >
  • I did not realize that I was following a dress code

• I did not realize that I was following a dress code

Old 06-10-2013, 08:18 AM

I don't think wearing the same thing every day is as scary as thinking of ending up on a "People of WalMart" site!
    Old 06-10-2013, 08:50 AM

I love loose fitting dresses because I don't like anything snug around my middle. Of course, I wear pants and shirts to shop or out of the house sometimes but prefer dresses. Shorts and sleeveless tops to mow and do yard work. Dressy dresses in church and weddings, etc...78 years old and yes, I worked in corporate world and in my own business and wore appropriate clothing and enjoyed that also. For me, dresses are cooler in summer.
    Old 06-10-2013, 09:14 AM

I try to wear things that make me feel pretty. Lovely tops over jeans, capris, shorts. I leave the house feeling pretty and then I catch a glimpse of myself in a window and wonder who that person is - I know I looked better than that when I left the house! lol
    Old 06-10-2013, 09:21 AM

Originally Posted by quiltmom04
    I don't think wearing the same thing every day is as scary as thinking of ending up on a "People of WalMart" site!
    What a strange comment. I just happened to be at Walmart when I realized how everyone was dressed. I just got back from the mall and I would estimate about 90 percent on the women there were dressed similar to me. Jean capris and t-shirts or blousy shirts. Majority of the men had on walking shorts and gym shoes (all age groups).

When I was a kid and a group of women got together, for instance quilting, they would all be dressed in nice dresses. Last time I attended a quilt lecture/presentation, the only lady dressed up nice was a young woman. The rest of us were very casual - dressed for comfort.

Even a funeral I went to a few months ago, the majority of the people wore jeans.
    Old 06-10-2013, 01:26 PM

I love summer, I love to wear capris, I am lucky enough they work with my long legs, skorts, shorts, and the shorts/capris(?) that hit right at mid knee,)(longer than shorts, shorter than capris)---What do you call those???
    cute sandals, sleeveless tops. I do iron my summer clothes and my khakis.
    I am at the point of wrinkly, blue vein legs, and do possess the ability wave bye twice.
    i would love to wear heels again, yes and at 5"8 they made me 6 feet tall, but for whatever reason they kill my ankles, not the foot, go figuire???
    i would have to say I dress better in summer vs winter- jeans/turtleneck/sweatshirt/sweats at home.
    Work is scrubs and tennis shoes. Church is khakis and a nice sweater or jacket.
    i have noticed I have spent so much time in mules or sandals or slippers that wearing leather shoes with a heel is blister forming (ugh).
    I have completely gotten out of the mode of wearing make up except for special occasions.
    My DH reminds me when I run into Walmart in my horse barn attire that people take pictures of these things and I could find myself a subject in the "People of Walmart" emails.
    My mother is soon to be 91, when that day comes I do have a black skirt/jacket or black slacks/jacket, or a suit to wear, so far they still fit. Thank god...
    So I would have to say long story short "Yep" "I have the uniform"
    Old 06-10-2013, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the dress code? update. I was beginning to feel 'dowdy', but I guess that I fit right in.
    Old 06-10-2013, 05:03 PM

For years, I wore suits with heels, jewelry and changed purses at least 2-3 times a month. I wore pantyhose every day and hated the way they dried out the soles of my feet and my feet ached at night. Then I left that life and now dress in whatever fits my day. Some days I wear jeans and a cotton shirt that buttons- more like a camp shirt. If I go out I will switch into a t-shirt from Chico's or Talbot's. Chinos, capris, the ugliest green pair of Keen sandals you ever seen or Merrill's waterproof hikers are also in my line-up. I still put a little "face" on most days-which is tinted moisturizer, lipstick and earrings. I simplified my life and maybe others are thinking the same.
    Old 06-10-2013, 05:15 PM

Shorts & t-shirt and sneakers and winter jeans and sweatshirt, t-shirt depending on how cold it gets here in Fl. It was 104 degrees when we got in the car today and it was in the garage. Sue
    Old 06-10-2013, 05:46 PM

Originally Posted by AlienQuilter
    What a strange comment. I just happened to be at Walmart when I realized how everyone was dressed. I just got back from the mall and I would estimate about 90 percent on the women there were dressed similar to me. Jean capris and t-shirts or blousy shirts. Majority of the men had on walking shorts and gym shoes (all age groups).

When I was a kid and a group of women got together, for instance quilting, they would all be dressed in nice dresses. Last time I attended a quilt lecture/presentation, the only lady dressed up nice was a young woman. The rest of us were very casual - dressed for comfort.

Even a funeral I went to a few months ago, the majority of the people wore jeans.
    Google "people of WalMart"..... and look at the photos.
    Old 06-10-2013, 05:59 PM
    Power Poster

Sounds like how I dress but I usually have sandals on with my capris. Dresses are for weddings and things like that.