Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I  do not sew today, but look at ... >
  • I do not sew today, but look at ...

• I do not sew today, but look at ...

Old 06-09-2011, 06:37 PM

Oh my!! they look delicious. MMMM
    Old 06-09-2011, 06:41 PM

You've got a fortune there...have you checked the prices in the store? We have pears, cherry, plum and apricot. But no
    fruit this year, it all froze in the bud. Here in KS we only get a fruit crop about every 3 years...but when that
    happens I can like crazy...soooo good!!
    Old 06-09-2011, 06:48 PM

What a beautiful picture! Looks like you were really busy and will be well rewarded with all the gorgeous fruit!
    Old 06-09-2011, 07:01 PM

WOW -- they look wonderful!!
    Old 06-09-2011, 08:06 PM

Oooooh - they look so good!
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:00 PM

Yum
    Old 06-09-2011, 09:17 PM

Originally Posted by gennie1950
    Hello, I am so impressed to see another person that cans and they look beautiful. Could you please share with me where you purchase your lids and jars. I like that type of lid, but haven't been able to find them on line. I always use kerr or ball, with the 2 piece lid. I would love to do cherries but in georgia they are not so much available. I came from michigan and Traverse City cherries were at all the fruit stands. thanks for the help. gennie schmudde email, [email protected]
    Gennie what she is saying is that with those kind of jars you get with differnt things in them in the stores is that you can wash these and you can reuse the jars and the white lids that came on the jar, I also do this , like I buy the Tascosa Hot sauce
    it comes in these same jars with the lids , and I save the lid and jars for jams and such.
    :-D
    Old 06-09-2011, 10:40 PM

My mouth is watering.
    Old 06-09-2011, 11:10 PM

Originally Posted by Pickles
    Originally Posted by gennie1950
    Hello, I am so impressed to see another person that cans and they look beautiful. Could you please share with me where you purchase your lids and jars. I like that type of lid, but haven't been able to find them on line. I always use kerr or ball, with the 2 piece lid. I would love to do cherries but in georgia they are not so much available. I came from michigan and Traverse City cherries were at all the fruit stands. thanks for the help. gennie schmudde email, [email protected]
    Gennie what she is saying is that with those kind of jars you get with differnt things in them in the stores is that you can wash these and you can reuse the jars and the white lids that came on the jar, I also do this , like I buy the Tascosa Hot sauce
    it comes in these same jars with the lids , and I save the lid and jars for jams and such.
    :-D
    I save jars from relish, salsa, spaghetti sauce, jam & jelly, syrup, anything glass with a ring of rubber on the inside of the lid.
    As long as the 'store' food jar has a rubber ring intact on the inside of the lid, the jar is safe for water bath canning and should seal well. I've done that for years with jams, jellies, applebutter, relishes, etc. I also make apple juice, pear juice, plum juice, huckleberry syrup & chokecherry syrup, etc. and seal it in glass juice bottles that once had 'store-bought' juice in them. I've never had a problem with the jar not sealing.

I use only 'real' canning jars - Kerr or Ball - for pressure canning meat & vegetables, or water bath canning fruits I want in a large jar.

I pick or buy up to 150 lbs of cherries/year - both sweet for canning & dehydrating, and tart for pies (freeze these after pitting).
    There are cherry orchards all along Flathead Lake near our location. Yum!
    Old 06-10-2011, 03:23 AM

Thank you so much for the input. I thought you couldn't reuse the lids, so on all these jars I have tossed them out. I won't be doing that anymore. I am doing 5lbs of thumb size blackberries starting sunday,making my blackberry jam. Everyone says it is better than what they give you at cracker barrel. Thanks again. gennie schmudde ps. if you have any good canning recipes,like one for chow chow, I would love it.