I Don't Get It!

Old 03-12-2010, 08:39 AM

Celebrate is a poor term to use for ANY war, maybe they meant something like commemorate?

Margie
Old 03-12-2010, 08:48 AM
Power Poster

Any major event in history has an anniversary and is celebrated or remembered in someway. Celebrating the anniversary of any war being OVER is not the same as celebrating the war. Just my thoughts.
Old 03-12-2010, 09:09 AM

Originally Posted by mrs theo
I was surfing the web today and saw that Keepsake Quilting is having a sale to celebrate the anniversary of the Civil War. I'm sorry, but IMHO the war that tore this country in two is not something to be celebrated! I'm grateful that it put an end to slavery, but that wasn't the real reason the war was fought in the first place...it's the piece of the problem that got the most attention through the years.
Well, it is like this: The Civil War was fought to prevent the Southern States from seceding from the Union and tearing the country apart.
The fact that slavery was ended is cause for celebration, I would think, especially if one happened to be a slave.
However, the reproduction fabric isn't about celebrating the Civil War, any more than 1930s reproduction fabric is about celebrating the Great Depression and the abominable politics that was used to create that ...
Proof! Being an American means talking politics, even if it is about how to keep history accurate. <wave>
Old 03-12-2010, 09:18 AM

Keeping history accurate is important, but I find it hard to believe that you have to talk politics to do it. :idea:
Old 03-12-2010, 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by yourstrulyquilts
Keeping history accurate is important, but I find it hard to believe that you have to talk politics to do it. :idea:
Well, you might be correct, and if that is the case, then this thread would simply be about history ... I can live with that <g> ... I was under the false assumption that if discussing the how and why of a particular time in American history ... the answer would boil down to politics, but if not - - I am a happy camper! <wave>
Old 03-13-2010, 11:06 AM

Maybe they are celebrating the END of the Civil war?

email them and ask what they are thinking / meaning ... they surely have no idea how some people will interpret this 'celebration'

warm quilt hugs, sue in CA
Old 03-13-2010, 11:41 AM

During the civil war, the south had the cotton, the north had the factories, so, I would think any celebration of Civil War Reproduction Fabric (100% cotton figuring so highly in the current quilting industry) is nothing more than celebrating the history that was preserved in spite of some of our nation's darkest hours.
That is one thing that is very important to American life - - preserving our history, warts and all <wave>
Old 03-13-2010, 04:19 PM

Isn't VJ day celebrating the end of a war. I don't think the sale was meant to celebrate the war itself, I think they were meaning to say celebrating a love of the period and its style which lots of folks seem to do. And hey, just yesteday I saw a pick up with a union jack painted across the hood.