I Don't Get It!

Old 03-11-2010, 10:29 AM

I was surfing the web today and saw that Keepsake Quilting is having a sale to celebrate the anniversary of the Civil War. I'm sorry, but IMHO the war that tore this country in two is not something to be celebrated! I'm grateful that it put an end to slavery, but that wasn't the real reason the war was fought in the first place...it's the piece of the problem that got the most attention through the years.
Old 03-11-2010, 10:57 AM

what is the website?

I've never heard of anyone celebrating the start of a war before.
Old 03-11-2010, 11:53 AM
Power Poster

Hm, I shop from them regularly and went on the site out of curiosity. Sorry - but where is the sale you mentioned? Do you mean the items under the Historical Reproductions section?
Old 03-11-2010, 12:23 PM

Originally Posted by MadQuilter
Hm, I shop from them regularly and went on the site out of curiosity. Sorry - but where is the sale you mentioned? Do you mean the items under the Historical Reproductions section?
It's the Civil War Medley, but in the e-mail I got, they specifically said "Celebrate the Civil War with our new civil war medley". Just thought it was kinda strange.
Old 03-11-2010, 12:36 PM
Power Poster

anything to sell fabric!!
Old 03-11-2010, 01:19 PM
bj

Originally Posted by nativetexan
Yep! They are a good site tho.
Old 03-11-2010, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by mrs theo
I was surfing the web today and saw that Keepsake Quilting is having a sale to celebrate the anniversary of the Civil War. I'm sorry, but IMHO the war that tore this country in two is not something to be celebrated! I'm grateful that it put an end to slavery, but that wasn't the real reason the war was fought in the first place...it's the piece of the problem that got the most attention through the years.
Merchants will do most everything to get sales. What drives the economy? In each month there is a major holiday, (except August) and some of them celebrate some pretty horrific things. But each holiday has been made to look good, and fun, and bring in sales!
YTQ
Old 03-12-2010, 05:45 AM

Originally Posted by bj
Originally Posted by nativetexan
Yep! They are a good site tho.
I do agree that they have a great website, I just think celebrating something like that is in really poor taste.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:10 AM

You know, I bet it won't even occur to most people that "celebrating" a war - any war - is in poor taste. I'm sure they just meant it as a way to get people interested in celebrating the fabrics and styles of the era.

I'm near Gettysburg, and there's a small, dusty-looking shop in my town devoted to everything Civil War. Lots of people are interested in reading about it, reenacting it, having reproductions of the artifacts, etc.
Old 03-12-2010, 07:18 AM

It does seem a little odd but a sale is a sale. It was a part of history so we don't have much choice but to make the best of things that we can't change.