Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!! >
  • I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

• I finally outsmarted the squirrels!!!

Old 05-15-2011, 07:55 AM

Originally Posted by redkimba
    Good find.

If I had that many squirrels looking for a hand-out, I would keep a hunting slingshot handy (and a recipe book for how to cook squirrel meat)...
    Squirrel is best served in a crockpot with BBQ sauce! Just have to be careful of the little bones. :thumbup:
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:07 AM

I miss the days of my grandma's cooking. The kids in her neighborhood would use their bb guns and kill squirrels for 25¢ each. She would skin them, soak them in buttermilk and vinegar, then cut them up and fry them, just like chicken and the gravy she fixed alongside it was just the best. One time my grandpa hit a rabbit and it stayed on the bumper and couldn't get away. He took it inside, dressed it and it was that evenings dinner. My grandparents were very poor and lived in a one room house till they moved to town when I was 6. Those were good times for me.
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:34 AM

If I had that many squirrels looking for a hand-out, I would keep a hunting slingshot handy (and a recipe book for how to cook squirrel meat)...[/quote]
    ------------------------------
    Cook squirrels like rabbit. Neither one has that much fat on them.
    To hunt Squirrels... My hillbilly uncles taught us to hunt squirrels. .first thing, get big hat. This is a must.

Then you go find a squirrel in a tree, He will see you in your big hat and say "Eeek" and run around the back of the tree. You go back of the tree and make noise, he will see you and rush back to the other side of the tree. You take off hat and put it on a bush, then rush back to the other side of the tree. Squirrel will see you there and rush to back of tree, see the hat and think you beat him there and rush back to your side of the tree. Shoot squirrel and remove insides, skin and wrap in plastic, take home and cook.
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:48 AM
    Power Poster

I need one of those! (Or two, or three) Do you have the manufacturer or brand name/model name of the feeder? It's a looonnnngggggg drive here to the nearest Ace Hardware.
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:55 AM

I feel your pain - not only did we have problems with squirrels but the raccoons would visit at night! DH got a garden shepherd's crook and problem solved.
    Attached Thumbnails attachment-197335.jpe  
    Old 05-15-2011, 08:59 AM

Originally Posted by Prism99
    I need one of those! (Or two, or three) Do you have the manufacturer or brand name/model name of the feeder? It's a looonnnngggggg drive here to the nearest Ace Hardware.
    It is called the 'Top Flight Fortress'.
    OPUS INCORPORATED
    PO BOX 525
    Bellingham, MA 02019-0525

www.opususa.com

Hope this helps. Diane
    Old 05-15-2011, 09:02 AM

Mommamac, you have beautiful birds, love the blue indigo bunting.
    Old 05-15-2011, 09:06 AM

Then you go find a squirrel in a tree, He will see you in your big hat and say "Eeek" and run around the back of the tree. You go back of the tree and make noise, he will see you and rush back to the other side of the tree. You take off hat and put it on a bush, then rush back to the other side of the tree. Squirrel will see you there and rush to back of tree, see the hat and think you beat him there and rush back to your side of the tree. Shoot squirrel and remove insides, skin and wrap in plastic, take home and cook.[/quote]

LOL - I live in the city. If I did that, my neighbors would think I'm crazier than they had originally thought. I will just lean out my door to make sure I have a clear & clean shot. (and why I will learn to use a slingshot)
    Old 05-15-2011, 09:20 AM

I initially didn't mind the squirrels, but then they got out of hand and would empty the bird feeders within hours. These were generic "squirrel proof" feeders. I even filled a squirrel feeder with peanuts and corn for them, but they managed to empty all of the feeders in short order (hiding the peanuts and corn around the yard and probably the birdseed too).

I have too many trees in my yard to hang them anywhere the squirrels couldn't reach.

Finally, my husband bought me a Squirrel Buster feeder for Christmas and it seems to deter them quite a bit. If they get really pushy they can get a few seeds here or there but since they can't dump it all out they seem less interested. In addition, I live in a wet climate and the vent feature has kept the seed dry and the feeders are easy to clean out. I liked it so much I got a second one and got rid of all the rest of them.

[img]http://birdfeedersinfo.net/wp-conten...er-Classic.jpg[/img]

A bit pricier than the one you can buy at Ace but well worth it imo. He bought mine at Amazon.
    Old 05-15-2011, 09:33 AM
    Power Poster

I got my squirrel proof feeder at the agway. It is the kind with the counter weighted perch. Anything heavier then a bird gets on the perch the door to the seed closes. You can even set it so if you have a problem with heavier birds like gackles or blue jays it will close on them too. Occasionally I get a squirrel that tries for it and gets nothing for his troubles. My dog helps to keep them at a minimum as well.