I have created a monster

Old 07-14-2011, 03:53 PM

Sounds like she needs a machine of her own. Maybe not with "all" the bells & whistles, just enough to keep her off of yours!! :-)
Old 07-14-2011, 07:55 PM

Congratulations, I think. Oh no, two peoples stash in one house :-P :-P :-P
Old 07-14-2011, 09:12 PM

Great to share your enjoyment with her but also paramount to set safety guide lines.
Our daughter os very strong willed and intelligent so following my lead is not easy for either of us. Myhusband came up with a great idea- Her sewing machine for the first couple of months was on a power strip at my fingertips and when she didn't follow my leading I cut the power until she was ready to listen. Her iron is a travel one on a small board and is only plugged in when we need it. I have ssen some serious accidents with kids in sewing and ironing rooms and though I love to share the craft with my kids I take precautions- One second is one too many
Old 07-14-2011, 10:56 PM
Power Poster

WOW! Her quilt is gorgeous!
She needs her very own sewing machine! Time to go shopping!!
Old 07-15-2011, 10:22 AM

I want to see it now!!!! Well, I did not look at all the other notes and that is fabulous! Tell her "GREAT" mine don't even look that good and I only haf a grandson. But he is going to get to sew in a couple of years!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:39 AM

How lucky can you get. I had boys and would of loved to share sewing with a dau. Guess what ? By the time they were 8 my first 2 GC were displaying the quilts at quilt shows. She will be 21 next tues and still quilts. My GS does not quilt anymore but he knows how. Life is full of fun if you have the patience for it.
Old 07-16-2011, 06:58 AM

:D GOOD for her!
Old 07-16-2011, 06:59 AM

Oh wow, only got each of my daughters to sew a few simple nine-patch blocks, hoping they would catch the fever, but...the still sit in a box in my sewing room. Guess I'll turn them into little doll blankets for their kids. My mom always said that keeping her four daughters supplied with plenty of creative things to do at home, made us more satisfied to be there. She's right, I remember hoping we wouldn't have a youth meeting on Friday night because I was wanting to stay home and work on some needlework or sewing project. While we had lots of friends that I enjoyed doing things with, we were also very happy to stay home and "play with our toys". Promote it and buy her a machine if that is what it takes. Gives you a very special hobby to share!
Old 07-17-2011, 10:23 AM

Let her go and count your blessings. You know where she is, what she is doing and she has a time consuming hobby. As a teenager if she is quilting, she isn't out doing all the things that make you worry.
Old 07-17-2011, 01:05 PM

That's wonderful!
My daughter, who was 13 at the time, had to give blood for an upcoming surgery. She was on the table, I noticed what she was wearing, and asked her, "where'd you get that skirt?" She told me she had gone to Goodwill, and made it from a top that she bought there. (She was a skinny little thing) Hmm, she didn't have a sewing amchine, so said she did it all by hand.
Guess who got a sewing machine, as a 'getting through the surgery' gift?
She's been sewing ever since. That's my girl!