Go Back  Quiltingboard Forums >
  • General Chit-Chat (non-quilting talk)
  • I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all. >
  • I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

• I have a problem I need your "wise counselling" y'all.

Old 01-27-2011, 12:45 AM
    Power Poster

We all spend it one place or another. She just doesn't understand and maybe she is concerned about your spending? I assume you have your housing, eat and pay your bills but just do not have tons like most of us.

I hope you had a good time shopping and maybe next time do not share with her the info or that you are shopping for fabric. She just doesn't get it.
    Old 01-27-2011, 04:45 AM

Yeah! splurging time!! thanks everyone
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:06 AM

My Mother always said "Consider the source." You must have been shocked at her response. I never have a quick answer ready for times like these. I really feel sorry for my friends who have become ill and cannot use their skills or energy to be creative. Some people look at quilting as WORK, they don't want to be near it. Others look at it as a mental and physical challenge, fun time, depression preventative, and time spent on the production of beautiful things. This world needs more true beauty..and simple love as seen in quilts. One of my sisters about choked when I told her what was involved....and hasn't thanked me for the mug mat I sent her after Christmas.The other loved the used of colors...take the good out of everything, let the rest go...and continue to enjoy your quilting. You might tell her it is a home schooling situation as you learn so much from your work. We need to continue to learn all of our lives.
    Old 01-27-2011, 05:07 AM

mcar I certainly agree!
    Old 01-27-2011, 07:36 AM

It's called Boundaries. She has no business lecturing another adult about how they spend their money.

Just calmly reply, "we're not discussing that." and change the subject. Keep repeating it.
    Old 01-27-2011, 10:10 AM

Amen to all the above! I have much the same problem you have. I want to share my "good finds" and expect others to be happy for me and then it hurts me when they don't. I am learning NOT to share my good finds and thoughts with them and try to get on with life. Hope you do too.
    Old 01-27-2011, 02:29 PM

I have a list of "My Rules for My Life" taped to the top of my computer screen so I can look at it often (even several times a day if I need to), and one of them is this:

You define your own life. Don't let other people write your script.

In other words, don't let ANYONE tell you that you should do this or that or that you shouldn't. You are master of your own life. If I had been in your shoes, I would have said sweetly, "Well, I guess you have to do what you need to to make you happy, and I have to do what I need to to make ME happy," and then I would have just closed my ears and my mouth to any further discussion on the matter. Some people will soon tire of hearing themselves talk if they get no response or feedback.

And another thing....your money is just that....YOUR money and since they are not paying you, I guess what you do with it is YOUR business!!

Hugs to you.
    Thurma
    Old 01-27-2011, 03:21 PM

it is your own business where you spend your money. with my sil i never say if i bought anything cause she gets upset with people when they buy something cause she always wants maney given to her. they are retired and get 3 times more coming in now than any other family members. but never pays their bills and no one can figure out where it goes cause they don't have anything to show for it.
    Old 01-28-2011, 04:52 AM

wow!
    thanks bunch!heres another I should have taken; Don't let the dictates of others rule your life. again thanks everyone I will heed your wise counseling!
    Old 01-28-2011, 01:33 PM

I have a friend who used to say to people when they overstepped their boundaries "Where did you ever get the idea that was any of your business?". She didn't say it in a sarcastic or aggressive tone - she would widen her eyes and ask in genuinely questioning tone. People would start to answer because of the way she asked and then have to stop because there was no good answer.

I could never master it because I am too impatient with vexing people but I used to love watching her do it. Thanks for reminding me of that memory. :-D

FREE Quilting Newsletter